banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NAD - Marshall Valvestate 8040 40W 1x12 - I got a lemon... help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick update, I got a pair of 16Ohm V-Type Celestions, like new and with original packaging.

I tried the amp with the stock speaker to have a baseline and then I installed one of the new speakers. Turned it on with all the same setting, and it sounded clearer, a bit louder and with a better bass response. I really liked it! I was surprised that the volume did not drop, I was expecting quite a big volume difference given the 4/16 impedance mismatch. I did the same with the other identical speaker, and (as expected) the results were the same.

The amp has a really nice sounding clean channel, even with all the knobs at 12 o'clock. I'll try to turn it up to see if it starts to break up, but I might need to hide the ampsomewhere as it will be too loud...
    "I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me."

Comment

BTW, the new tube just arrived. I ordered a ECC83S Tesla/JJ and from the build quality it looks already better than the (possibly) stock tube. I will install it tonight and let you know about the outcome. Stay tuned!
      "I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me."

Comment

Originally posted by waltschwarzkopf View Post
        I opened the amp again, unsoldered all pots and removed them. Then I opened them up to clean and rework the tracks, then I measured the resistance between the outler legs and also during a swewp to check for dead spots. Most values seemed to be within what was specified, and the sweep was smooth for all posts.

Here are the resitance values, in order of the schematic:
        1. 77k (100K)
        2. 0.9M (1M)
        3. 20k (22k)
        4. 197k (220k)
        5. 0.87M (1M)
        6. 20k (22k)
        7. 0.74M (1M)
        8. 190k (220k)
        9. 75k (100k)
        10. 20k (22k)
        Afterwards, I remounted all posts and soldered them back carefully. I also removed the tube and cleaned the pins and the socket and mounted it back. Assembled everything and took it back home.

The normal channel is still working, pots are smoother, although the treble scratched a bit. The boost channel is still bad; however, the volume and gain control seem to have a better response than before. This means that the gain changes a bit and the volume too, although it is considerably quieter (at 10) compared to clean (at 4). The contour, bass and treble don't seem to do anything noticeable. Although, it just occured to me to try it with headphones, as I may notice some small chanches.

I guess the next step would be to order and install a new tube and see if that changes anything. But if it doesn't, then I'll have to leave it at that, as I'm running out of things to try. I won't throw it away, I just may scrap the electronics and turn the casing into a 1x12" cab.

Any thoughts or ideas?

One last thing! What is this dark spot in the middle of the board? I thought something was burnt, but it doesn't look like that, plus the connections seemed also ok.
        Looks to me like that resistor behind the 2 central Electrolytic Caps took one for the team.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Looks to me like that resistor behind the 2 central Electrolytic Caps took one for the team.
          In-deed! I just replaced R63 and R63 for two identical 5W rated 60Ohm resistors.

Comment

In-deed! I just replaced R63 and R63 for two identical 5W rated 60Ohm resistors.
            Just be mindful that a blown resistor is often a symptom of another component having issues -like a dying cap or that 12AX7
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Just be mindful that a blown resistor is often a symptom of another component having issues -like a dying cap or that 12AX7
              Good to know! I think that the resistor may have damaged the tube. Although when I replaced them, the resitance values were ok, and the PCB tracks seemed to be continuous too. I will try again tonight with the new tube, and if it still does not work, I will recheck all the tracks in the board.

Comment

BTW, I tried this last night, and the Boost channel does not work without a tube; the normal channel did work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Good to know. My Vox AV30 works differently. I had thought some of the valvestates worked the same way.

Comment

Bad news…

I installed the new tube tonight and the was little-to-none improvement. The gain knob seems to have some effect until 3/10 and then it’s just fully saturated. Contour and treble knobs do something, but not much; the bass knob just does nothing at all. The volume knob does adjust the volume a little, but with both the gain and volume cranked all the way, the overall volume is less than the clean channel at 3/10.

I am running out of ideas of where to look for a problem. Otherwise I’m gonna have to call time of death on the amp…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

As a further step, I measures the voltage on all altice components, that is OP amps and the tube. Can anyone make sense of the values?

Click image for larger version

Name:	voltages.png
Views:	301
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	6134279
                    Last edited by waltschwarzkopf; 12-09-2021, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Here's the circuit diagram

Click image for larger version

Name:	8040.png
Views:	336
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	6134253

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        This is very exciting! I love my VS100R. If/When it goes south good to know it can be revived!
                        Should have never sold mine.

Comment

Working...
                        X