Classic 30 Upgrade!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic 30 Upgrade!

Hey folks, I have one Peavey Classic 30 with the old grey leather. I bought it used:
    All Sovtek valves (3x12ax7 & 4 el-84;
    the speaker without any label (would be the blue marvel?).
    The pre gain button of the lead channel is broken.

I wanna put new valves (JJ tesla? What do u think?)
    I will repair the gain button,
    One friend of mine is sellng one Eminence Legend 125 (maybe from one hot rod deluxe, just like new) and I thought about buying to put in the classic and the one that is inside it I would make an extension cab to transform the classic in one 2x12".

What do ya think?
    - Cort S-2550
    - Ibanez Roadstar II RG440
    - Ibanez Artcore Asf75tbl
    - Dunlop Crybaby gcb-95
    - Boss Compressor Sustainer CS-3
    - Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-7
    - Danelectro T-bone distortion
    - Mesa Boogie V-Twin
    - Boss Super Chorus CH-1
    - Boss Digital Delay DD-6
    - Peavey Classic 30

Re: Classic 30 Upgrade!

forget about the eminence speaker, it was an generic fender one. What speaker would u recommend? how do i know if the one inside is a true blue marvel?
    - Cort S-2550
    - Ibanez Roadstar II RG440
    - Ibanez Artcore Asf75tbl
    - Dunlop Crybaby gcb-95
    - Boss Compressor Sustainer CS-3
    - Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-7
    - Danelectro T-bone distortion
    - Mesa Boogie V-Twin
    - Boss Super Chorus CH-1
    - Boss Digital Delay DD-6
    - Peavey Classic 30

Comment

JJ's for the el84's and take your pick for the 12AX7's... A lot of folk like the tung sols, I like the GT mullard clone although some folk have had problems with them, and there is a new JJ out - the ECC803 S that has gotten raves from some folk. The 9th generation Chinese tubes are very good too.
      For a speaker, make sure it is the correct ohms, I'd check out a number of the new Eminence - they've all gotten great reviews -and just about anything by Weber - the blue dog or silver bell are great for a british sound. Speaker choice will affect your tone in a serious way so you need to know what you're looking for.
      royd
      http://www.soundclick.com/alexisd
      "once it stops bein' a mystery it stops bein' true"
      David Mowaljarlai - Ngarinyin Aboriginal Elder

Comment

Originally posted by royd
        JJ's for the el84's and take your pick for the 12AX7's... A lot of folk like the tung sols, I like the GT mullard clone although some folk have had problems with them, and there is a new JJ out - the ECC803 S that has gotten raves from some folk. The 9th generation Chinese tubes are very good too.
        For a speaker, make sure it is the correct ohms, I'd check out a number of the new Eminence - they've all gotten great reviews -and just about anything by Weber - the blue dog or silver bell are great for a british sound. Speaker choice will affect your tone in a serious way so you need to know what you're looking for.
        Very Good information here. JJ EL84's are tough to beat. And personally I would advise against the Mullard clone. Too expensive and too many problems with them. I'm not a huge fan of JJ pre's, although the 803s is pretty good. Tung Sol, Sovtek LPS, Chinese are all really good choices. I have an Eminence Red White & Blues in my Classic and am very happy with it, but I've heard the Texas Heat is even better. A vintage 30 works well too, but folks seem to either love 'em.....or not. You could try a G12H30 too, or Private Jack for the Eminence version of a greenback. Those are 4 I would suggest with the Texas Heat my first choice.

Comment

I'd get some JJ EL84's, NOS RCA 12AX7's(sound awesome in my C30) and a Weber Blue Dog.
          Not a 5150 Kramer, but a 5149 1/2 Shamer
          www.bigmouthbetty.com

Comment

Working...
          X