Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And The Award For The World's Crappiest 12AX7/ECC83s Goes To:

Sovtek 12AX7WAs.

In the early 2k's, I bought 3 each of the current manufactured 12AX7/ECC83s for tone testing in my Plexi.

I still have them all (Sovtek LPS too, JJ, EI Gold etc).

I was thinking about my little tube stash and was remembering how awful those Sovtek 12AX7WAs sounded - bright and screechy yet somehow a total lack of detail.

They are so sterile sounding.
    The only place the LPS can passably function is the phase inverter. Even then it’s low on my list of tubes to put there.

Comment

JJ's are the ones that deserve that award not the Sovetecs. The Sovetecs I agree are bland and lifeless but still sound better than JJ's. The Sovetecs are also reliable and quiet two things that are foreign to JJ's. JJ's can turn a really nice amp into a toneneless souless muddy mess. Unless you get JJ's from a dealer who burns them in an testes them they are a crap shoot out of the box. Worst 12AX7 ever IMO is the JJ.
      BTW when i bought the Red one off 100 watt Fender Prosonic from Brad Whitford that had been on the road with Aerosmith guess what was in the pre amp in it? Yep had a full set of Sovetec 12AX7 WA's!
      Last edited by Ascension; 12-14-2021, 11:33 AM.
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

The JJ ECC83s I purchased back then were lacking top-end detail but otherwise decent. Prolly best for a bright amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
          They are so sterile sounding.
          The only place the LPS can passably function is the phase inverter. Even then it’s low on my list of tubes to put there.
          I found the LPS to have excellent top-end detail, but perhaps a little too much detail.

Comment

Indeed, the LPS was designed for the phase inverter socket. The "S" stands for it's spiral heater/filament. It was engineered to reduce"negative" artifacts in amplifiers using AC heater supplies.
            I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

i like the lps, i like the jj too. usually didnt love the wa. just sorted all my tubes and i dont think ill need to buy any for at least a decade

Comment

The EHXs I had were, suspiciously, similar to the Sovtek WAs.

Comment

I found the Ei Golds (no longer in production) to be the best for current manufacturer. But this was almost 20 years ago.

But none of the current batches held a candle to the NOS Mullards.

Wonder what the new ones of today are like?

Comment

I love JJ tubes. In fact, I recently put a pair in to my Vox AV30. Stock it comes with Ruby’s. They’re a fine tube but the amp was starting to not sound like itself. While I waited on them to arrive, I put in a couple of Sovtek LPS that I have from when I had my Marshall JCM 900 MkIII head and I was checking out different brands in it. The Sovteks were nice but the high end was a little too much and though it was a bold tone, even that was too much. The JJ’s sound much better to me and are honestly quieter than the Sovteks. In fact, when I had that old Marshall, that thing LOVED JJ tubes. Sovteks sounded horrible and very hissy. With JJ’s it was dead quiet. And that was with a full complement of them (3 x 12AX7 and 4 x EL34).

Comment

the new mullards are good but not like nos and dont sound like an old mullard. the one new one i have sounds more similar to a nos voskod tube i have. no idea about it though, it came in an old amp i had

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                        I found the Ei Golds (no longer in production) to be the best for current manufacturer. But this was almost 20 years ago.

But none of the current batches held a candle to the NOS Mullards.

Wonder what the new ones of today are like?
                        I have a Diamond bottom Telefunken in V1 of my Quickrod and it’s magic.

Comment

I have some NOS from the early 70s that sound great.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                            The JJ ECC83s I purchased back then were lacking top-end detail but otherwise decent. Prolly best for a bright amp.
                            I also find the JJ to be darker.
                            I know years ago there were some qc issues with them (as well as Chinese tubes) but in my more recent experience both seem to have fixed these issues.
                            I don’t dislike the JJ’s, they are just ok to me. I actually prefer the Chinese tubes to many other NP tubes.
                            Of course, the amp itself determines what tubes belong in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                              I have some NOS from the early 70s that sound great.

I have about 40 or so NOS tubes of all brands from the 60’s and 70’s.

Comment

Working...
                              X