Getting a more consistent amp sound at different volume levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a more consistent amp sound at different volume levels

OK, weird and big topic here I know . . .

But here's my situation. I can tweak my amp to sound great at low volumes, or I can tweak it to sound great at high volumes. But I want to be able to play/practice at reasonable volumes home and find nice amp settings that will also work when playing out.

I'm aware of Fletcher-Munson and how our hearing changes depending on how loud you're playing, but the problem I'm running into doesn't seem to be related to that. I know this because my low volume settings sound great recorded and mixed into a song . . . but my high volume settings sound shrill when doing the same. Obviously there's no difference in the playback settings after recording, so something is going on in my amp that is different at high volume than low volume.

Is there something I can do to even this out without having to completely re-EQ for higher volumes?
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

i find speakers are a big issue with this unless you have very high power speakers. when you push a 30w speaker, it sounds much different. if you have a 150w speaker, the tone you get at different volumes doesnt change as much. theres plenty of things than can contribute to this.

Comment

Steve if you figure this out come back and let us know.

Comment

Low volumes are barely moving a speaker, sometimes that is good for the tone, sometimes not. I doubt the tone vs cone excursion graph is linear (well, tone is subjective, you know what I mean).

I've been struggling with a similar dilemma, right now everything I have sounds like crap, whether through an Iconoclast and direct through my Kali monitors (sounds really honky, yet music through the monitors sounds fine, so it's apparently me), or slightly less so through a ISP power amp and Avatar 1-12 with Classic Lead 80.
        Last edited by devastone; 12-20-2021, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          i find speakers are a big issue with this unless you have very high power speakers. when you push a 30w speaker, it sounds much different. if you have a 150w speaker, the tone you get at different volumes doesnt change as much. theres plenty of things than can contribute to this.
          I'm running a 40 watt amp into two speakers, one 60 and one 50 watt. How much higher would I have to go wattage-wise to even out the volume thing?

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

I'm running a 40 watt amp into two speakers, one 60 and one 50 watt. How much higher would I have to go wattage-wise to even out the volume thing?
            Suggest either a pair of Emi Wheelhouses, or my favorite the Swamp Thang/Texas Heat combo. With a 40 watt amp, even tube, you won't get any speaker breakup. At 300 watts combined you would be having to push things to the max.
            And they sound good. The hemp cones in the Wheelhouses are very sensitive but neutral. The Swamp/Heat pair very well. Maybe a bit bright and tight compared to the Wheelhouses.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              Suggest either a pair of Emi Wheelhouses, or my favorite the Swamp Thang/Texas Heat combo. With a 40 watt amp, even tube, you won't get any speaker breakup. At 300 watts combined you would be having to push things to the max.
              And they sound good. The hemp cones in the Wheelhouses are very sensitive but neutral. The Swamp/Heat pair very well. Maybe a bit bright and tight compared to the Wheelhouses.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
              I have the Wheelhouses in my MX212 and use it with my JC120. The sound tends to stay relatively the same quiet or cranked. However, when playing with my band the dynamics of the tone definitely changes.

Comment

Major reason I don't run 4x12s anymore unless it's a giant venue. -because I cant roll the volume at all and keep tone.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

The professional way to achieve a more consistent sound at any level at a gig, home studio or wherever:

1. Set tube amp's volume etc to preferred settings
                  2. Use a loadbox with a line out on your tube amp
                  3. Take the line out to a power amp, then speaker(s)

Use power amp to adjust final volume.

This config will also allow you to have post-powertube FX (time-based sound great here)

Yes, it's more gear, but guaranteed to work. You are essentially bottling your tube amp's tone and sending it to a "PA" of sorts.

I've been yammering about this kind of setup on and off for seven years here (my time on the board here), because back in the early 2Ks, after I rebuilt my JTM45, I wanted to be able to get cranked tube amp tone without the neighbors complaining. Back then, the THD HotPlate set to "Load" did the trick for me. Now, it's the Suhr Reactive Load. It was a godsend to be able to do this (and I tried sharing this valuable info, but unfortunately when you have egotistical ignoramuses who are more interested in their forum cred rather than coming for a "roundtable discussion" because of their love of gear, it falls on deaf ears).

I've been doing this kind of setup for almost 20 years now, both live and in the home studio. There are options and variations on this "theme" as well.
                  Last edited by LLL; 12-19-2021, 11:12 AM.

Comment

I've seen amps with improperly -designed master volumes have this issue too- sounds great really loud and/or really quiet, but not in between. If you can, try it out at many volumes before you buy.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                      The professional way to achieve a more consistent sound at any level at a gig, home studio or wherever:

This config will also allow you to have post-powertube FX (time-based sound great here)

Yes, it's more gear, but guaranteed to work. You are essentially bottling your tube amp's tone and sending it to a "PA" of sorts.

I've been yammering about this kind of setup on and off for seven years here (my time on the board here), because back in the early 2Ks, after I rebuilt my JTM45, I wanted to be able to get cranked tube amp tone without the neighbors complaining. Back then, the THD HotPlate set to "Load" did the trick for me. Now, it's the Suhr Reactive Load. It was a godsend to be able to do this (and I tried sharing this valuable info, but unfortunately when you have egotistical ignoramuses who are more interested in their forum cred rather than coming for a "roundtable discussion" because of their love of gear, it falls on deaf ears).

I've been doing this kind of setup for almost 20 years now, both live and in the home studio. There are options and variations on this "theme" as well.
                      Once of these days I need to create an IR of my Greenback loaded cab, so the DI output of my powered Kemper matches the stage sound through my cabinet.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post

Once of these days I need to create an IR of my Greenback loaded cab, so the DI output of my powered Kemper matches the stage sound through my cabinet.
                        Gotta love them Greenbacks.

Comment

Or, play stadium shows only
                          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Or, play stadium shows only
                            Does anyone do that anymore?

Comment

Does anyone do that anymore?
                              Rappers. :P

Comment

Working...
                              X