banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting a more consistent amp sound at different volume levels

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    The most consistent sound really comes from a modeler. That is really the only 'amp' that can sound and feel the same either at arena levels or over headphones.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      The most consistent sound really comes from a modeler. That is really the only 'amp' that can sound and feel the same either at arena levels or over headphones.
      I don't have any experience using modelers live. They sound the same at low and at high volumes? Is this when running them through a cab, or a DI thing?
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

      Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

      Comment


      • #33
        Light natural compression (not from a compressor pedal) is the key here.

        Think about it.
        My SoundCloud
        Rig Talk FoS Forum
        My YouTube

        "More contributors, less hacks"

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by LLL View Post
          Light natural compression (not from a compressor pedal) is the key here.

          Think about it.
          If it is, it's compressing the high frequencies more than the low ones. Basically that's what I hear when I turn it up . . . the higher frequencies get brighter. I've got to drop highs and presence to get back to a similar setting to what I originally had.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

          Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

            I don't have any experience using modelers live. They sound the same at low and at high volumes? Is this when running them through a cab, or a DI thing?
            Yeah, no matter what volume, they are the same. They do that particular thing very well. They can be made to sound good through a full range cab or guitar cab...it is all how you program it. But once it is set, no matter the volume, it is the same tone/feel.
            Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

              If it is, it's compressing the high frequencies more than the low ones. Basically that's what I hear when I turn it up . . . the higher frequencies get brighter. I've got to drop highs and presence to get back to a similar setting to what I originally had.
              What amp is this?

              And compression evens out the sound/levels, it doesn't make say, the treble brighter.
              My SoundCloud
              Rig Talk FoS Forum
              My YouTube

              "More contributors, less hacks"

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by LLL View Post

                What amp is this?

                And compression evens out the sound/levels, it doesn't make say, the treble brighter.
                It's a Traynor YCV40 - Has a Fender style tone stack on the clean channel and a Marshall style tone stack on the gain channel . . . but both get noticeably brighter as it's turned up.

                I wonder if dialing in sounds with the bright switch on at low volume, then turning it off at high volume would keep things more consistent - usually I leave it off.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

                Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Sounds like a good place to start.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

                    It's a Traynor YCV40 - Has a Fender style tone stack on the clean channel and a Marshall style tone stack on the gain channel . . . but both get noticeably brighter as it's turned up.

                    I wonder if dialing in sounds with the bright switch on at low volume, then turning it off at high volume would keep things more consistent - usually I leave it off.
                    Is there a bright cap on the volume, and if so, do you know what value?
                    My SoundCloud
                    Rig Talk FoS Forum
                    My YouTube

                    "More contributors, less hacks"

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by LLL View Post

                      Is there a bright cap on the volume, and if so, do you know what value?
                      The bright cap is on a switch that I usually leave off.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

                      Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X