No announcement yet.

Can you run a hybrid amp without a cab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you run a hybrid amp without a cab?

I have an Orange Micro Dark and its 1x8 cab and I wanna play it thru headphones but since the cab is still plugged in it still plays thru the cab so I wanna know… Can you run a hybrid amp(tube preamp, solid state power) without a cabinet?

ss power amp should be fine without a load but im not familiar with that amp specifically

Comment

According to the manual you are safe to disconnect the speakers while you've got headphones plugged in:

Important to note though - you must connect the speakers or the headphones while the amp is on. It might break something if you run without any load.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

SS power amps are fine with out a load, they basically can't make any current with an infinite impedance. Tube amps on the other hand, if they don't have a speaker connected (unless they have an internal load like some modern amps do) see a near zero impedance through the transformer windings if no speaker is connected so they try to make near infinite current, which they physically can't, so they often die trying.

Comment

Alright, thanks for the information.

Comment

Your appreciation is appreciated, thank you, thank you very much.

Comment

Working...
            X