Vox VT20x Humming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox VT20x Humming

I just installed a set of Pearly Gates into my SG. When I try to use it with my Vox VT 20x it has a terrible hum. If I touch the bridge or anything metal it stops. I first thought it was a ground issue, but if I plug it into another amp it works great. Also had it checked at a local guitar shop and no ground issues. None of my other guitars do this with the Vox. Any ideals what would cause the Vox to do this? Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

If your guitar is fine with other amps, it could just be the amp an not the pickups. Does that Vox have a tube in it?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I don’t think it actually has a tube but models it somehow. Anyway, I think I have figured it out. The amp has a noise gate function. I didn’t realize it because it is set at a certain level from the factory. This level was good for my other guitars apparently. However, I guess the new pickups need a higher setting to stop the noise. Sorry, I should have researched it more for posting.

Comment

No worries, happy you sorted it out. At least it wasn't the set of Pearlies!
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The Vox Valvetronix amps do use a 12AX7 but in that model, and the VT series, it's strictly in the power amp section. It does not rebias based on the amp model selection.
          Their later AV series have 2 12AX7's, one for the 2 channels (half of it per channel) and the other for the power amp section.
          The noise gate on the VT and VTX series is nice to have but I found that it choked off much of the dynamics. First thing I did with my AD50VT, thanks to advice from a friend, is turn the noise gate off. It was more touch sensitive and sounded more natural after that.

Comment

Ok. Now, that button does do something with the bias, similar to the bias switch on my AV30 (though it is Classic/Modern). But, that is independent of the model selection in the preamp. If you simply changed the preamp model without touching those buttons, nothing with the tube changes or has an affect on the preamp model. It is strictly power amp character.

Comment

Working...
            X