Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm gonna say it:

THE DEATH OF TUBE AMPS

As rock does, old guys kick off, and a generation of kids grows up with sims and models....Tube amps will go away. Forever.

Digital? Don't think so.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
      I'm gonna say it:

THE DEATH OF TUBE AMPS

As rock does, old guys kick off, and a generation of kids grows up with sims and models....Tube amps will go away. Forever.

Digital? Don't think so.
      I agree.

Tubes are more expensive, more fragile, and less reliable. They also tend to be pickier - usually sound better at higher volume levels. The latest crop of solid state amps seem to be sounding pretty good, if they keep getting better there just won't be a reason to run tube amps.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Try a Quilter amp. You won't touch a tube amp again. Pat makes great stuff.

Comment

i disagree. ive played a bunch of quilters and they are nice, but not nice enough for me to give up my old tube amps

Comment

I've listened to a lot of underwhelming youtube demos of Quilter amps.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
              I've listened to a lot of underwhelming youtube demos of Quilter amps.
              I saw a demo that sounded incredible (let me see if I can find it)

then I bought one of the interblock Quilter pedal and tried it with a V30 and a G70 and it was pretty underwhelming -the clipping was loose and washy to me.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I think tube amps will eventually disappear as digital technology keeps improving. Even today you don’t have to go high end like Axe FX or Kemper profiler to get great tone with something like a $250 Boss Katana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

While the little pedal interBlock amps are nice, they don't have enough headroom. The ToneBlocks are really nice but my favorites of his are the Aviators and the Micropros.

Comment

For the naysayers, forever is a long time. At some point it goes away, but perhaps not in my lifetime.

Practically speaking advances in technology (sound quality, cost, and convenience) and high cost of legacy tech/parts will lead to a tipping point where the bulk of guitarists switch, it becomes the realm of esoteric (cork sniffing), and costs skyrocket. We're not there yet and debatable if it's the current tech that will do it or something else. Is that in 100 years (longer than tube guitar amps have been around), 50 years, 25 years, or sooner ...?
                    Last edited by quadquadquadquad; 01-17-2022, 08:48 PM.

Comment

I have a nice collection of amps ; Carvin X-100 B, VHT Pitbull, Marshall JCM 800, Peavey War Head, Peavey JSX, Carvin V3, Carvin Legacy 1,2,3 and others.

I made some great recreations in my DigiTech 2112 SGS of my amps, including some amps I don't own.

Back in the 1980's, many were claiming that foot pedals were going to be useless in less that 10 years ... They were wrong.

I have a great MIDI set up mixed with old stomp box / pedals, via a Decibel Eleven Loop Expander and RJM Mini Effects Gizmo.

Tube amps will never go away and neither will rack or amp simulators.

Comment

I thin there are less and less people designing and repairing tube amps these days than, say 30 years ago. It is bound to go to the 'expensive hi-fi arena' at some point.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

yeah, I'm just making jokes, Im sure her place is tight and she keeps her tools on the other side or below.

but that really may be a pic of herself on the wall -i must know cool amp making foxy Ms. Fazio!!!
                          OK - if this needs deleted, so be it.

But there is only one way to know for sure how tight her place is and where keeps her favorite tools...
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                          X