Electronics grounding question + pedal cables questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronics grounding question + pedal cables questions

Alright... so today I went ahead and shortneded this cable. All went fine, and it sounds perfectly fine too.
    When you have one pedal, leaving the instrument cable on drains the battery. When you have 2, can you leave the cable in between the 2 pedals without any battery drainage?
    Also, should I place the wah before or after the boost? I haven't tried both positions yet, right now the wah is on the amp side and the boost closest to the guitar.

About grounding... I installed another 3 way on/on/on on the model 4, which wires the FullShredc (TB18 Pierre le Pimp Pickup) as series/split/parrallel (sounds great parrallel by the way) and the grouding is only done to the casing (well kinda, since solder wouldn't adhere... ). Now there's no buzz of any kind except when I touch the switch itself.
    All the other switches on the guitar are grounded to each other but not to the bridge. Should I ground all 4 switches to the bridge as well?

Re: Electronics grounding question + pedal cables questions

GAH for the first time I was guilty of posting in the wrong forum Sorry mods. I had put it there because my questions were all different.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre
      Alright... so today I went ahead and shortneded this cable. All went fine, and it sounds perfectly fine too.
      When you have one pedal, leaving the instrument cable on drains the battery. When you have 2, can you leave the cable in between the 2 pedals without any battery drainage?
      Most effect pedals use a stereo jack for the input. When you use a mono plug in a stereo jack, you short the ring and tip terminals together. This can be used to complete a path for battery power.

So...to answer your first question, anytime a cable is plugged into the input of a pedal, the battery is connected (and draining).

That being said, some pedals 'break' the battery connection when something is plugged into the power adapter jack. By using an unwired (blank) plug, you can disconnect the battery without disconnecting all the interconnect cables.
      THE LOST ART OF BEING STOIC
      1. Quit your whining.
      2. Quit your crying.
      3. Suck it up.
      If in doubt, ask yourself: What would Clint do?

Comment

ah so I guess I should disconnect the cabe between the wah and the boss then. Thanks!
        Oh all the plugs I bought to shorten my wires are mono. Would that be a problem?
        Also, I have a mediocre cable, an ok cable and a good (well I think... It's Switchcraft) cable. Would I lose much of the quality by shortening out the good ones, or would it actually make it all better because they're shorter? The plugs aren't gold plated but neither are any of the plugs on my cables.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre
          ah so I guess I should disconnect the cabe between the wah and the boss then. Thanks!
          Oh all the plugs I bought to shorten my wires are mono. Would that be a problem?
          Also, I have a mediocre cable, an ok cable and a good (well I think... It's Switchcraft) cable. Would I lose much of the quality by shortening out the good ones, or would it actually make it all better because they're shorter? The plugs aren't gold plated but neither are any of the plugs on my cables.
          The plugs should be mono.
          Shorter the better. Use your good cable and some extra plugs to make several short cables to interconnect your pedals.
          Gold plated tips help prevent corrosion on the plugs, but the jacks aren't gold plated so it really makes little difference. (plugging and unplugging a couple of times will clean the contacts if they tarnish a bit)
          THE LOST ART OF BEING STOIC
          1. Quit your whining.
          2. Quit your crying.
          3. Suck it up.
          If in doubt, ask yourself: What would Clint do?

Comment

Working...
          X