pedal question.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pedal question.....

ok, basically im interested in some sort of distortion pedal....preferably true bypass.....something that isnt like insane distortion, but isnt bluesy either. also, the most "distortion" sound, i.e. no fuzz......thanks
    esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
    fender mim standard strat
    peavey classic 30
    johnson j-station
    original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
    dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
    yamaha f-310p acoustic
    taylor 410 acoustic
    "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Re: pedal question.....

ok so there are tons of pedals out there like this. One of the most famous is the Boss DS-1, i dont really like the sound of it but many people have had great success with it. There are many mods online that can be done to this pedal to make it sound different. Then there is the Ibanez TS-9 this is probably getting into the more bluesy sound that you were talking about but you can still get some really nice sounds out of it, there are also tons of mods that you can get for this pedal. My new favorite is the cusack screamer available at www.cusackmusic.com It is a tube screamer copy but it can have a lot more gain if need be, i saw someone useing it and ordered one myself and it has become my new favorite pedal. The sound clips on the site dont really do the pedal justice it has an amazing rythem sound as well as lead. hope this helps

Comment

Here is a few, Rat, Ibanez SD-9, Tonebone Hot British, Ibanez Fatcat, Ibanez Supermetal, don't let the goofy namy scare you
      Maxon DS-830, D&S II for more old style dist, Old black Marshall The Guv'nor, only a few of those are screw flymass...but alot of other players have still mannaged to coax some nice sounds out of those

Comment

I think there's a Spina DS-1 for sale in the Trading Post, and I always have to recommend the Hermida Mosferatu in this scenario.
        After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

Most of the pedals mentioned aren't true bypass though like he asked?
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

True Bypass can be so overrated. If you are using one, maybe 2 pedals, and use a 10 foot cable from your guitar to the pedals and a 2 or 3 foot from the pedals to the amp, sure go TB because your signal loss will be minimal on short cable runs. However, if you have more than 15-18 feet of cable running, having at least one pedal with a buffered bypass (like Boss and Ibanez) is a huge benefit.

Check out the ones Rid mentioned and also check out the Marshall Shredmaster (old black one), the Drive Master (another old black one), Marshall Jackhammer is good too. Distortion pedals are a dime a dozen. One of them will work for you. It's just a matter of dragging you and your guitar down to the shop and trying out what they have.
            Last edited by ErikH; 12-29-2005, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
              True Bypass can be so overrated. If you are using one, maybe 2 pedals, and use a 10 foot cable from your guitar to the pedals and a 2 or 3 foot from the pedals to the amp, sure go TB because your signal loss will be minimal on short cable runs. However, if you have more than 15-18 feet of cable running, having at least one pedal with a buffered bypass (like Boss and Ibanez) is a huge benefit.

Check out the ones Rid mentioned and also check out the Marshall Shredmaster (old black one), the Drive Master (another old black one), Marshall Jackhammer is good too. Distortion pedals are a dime a dozen. One of them will work for you. It's just a matter of dragging you and your guitar down to the shop and trying out what they have.
              Very true on true bypass(Lots of hype)except on a wah and older tone robbing vintage pedals...Just wanted to make sure the guy gets the info he wanted,as he stated true bypass....
              Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I have a Maxon 830 that Rid mentioned

I'm not sure if it's true bypass or not, but it's an excellent distortion, but not cheap. Their site will say if they're true bypass or not.
                "music heals"
                facebook

Comment

Wahs are almost a TB must although some of the newer ones have output buffers that help keep the signal up. With older pedals that do suck tone, a true bypass box comes in handy so those old pedals retain their vintage quality. I know if I had a vintage script logo Phase 90 I wouldn't be hacking it up for TB, although it would be a heck of a lot easier to do than today's everything-PCB-mounted reissues.

Let's no forget the PlexiTone. It may not be heavy heavy distortion but it sure does sound sweet and is just enough I think.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
                    Wahs are almost a TB must although some of the newer ones have output buffers that help keep the signal up. With older pedals that do suck tone, a true bypass box comes in handy so those old pedals retain their vintage quality. I know if I had a vintage script logo Phase 90 I wouldn't be hacking it up for TB, although it would be a heck of a lot easier to do than today's everything-PCB-mounted reissues.

Let's no forget the PlexiTone. It may not be heavy heavy distortion but it sure does sound sweet and is just enough I think.
                    The Plexitone is a phenomenal pedal...

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                      The Plexitone is a phenomenal pedal...
                      Heheh, have you heard his JMP pedal clips? It's a PlexiTone with an attitude. You gotta hear it.

Comment

yea i kinda wanted a heavey distortion pedal, just not stupidily heavey, and yeah, i really want true bypass....
                        esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
                        fender mim standard strat
                        peavey classic 30
                        johnson j-station
                        original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
                        dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
                        yamaha f-310p acoustic
                        taylor 410 acoustic
                        "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Ok, let me ask this. What's your budget?

Comment

True poppass as I usually calls it

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
                              True poppass as I usually calls it
                              :6:

Comment

Working...
                              X