NAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD!

Came across this deal I couldn’t refuse. Marshall DSL20 combo for a bit over $300. Huge tone, and quite loud even in the 10 watt setting. I think my Mesa will be collecting dust for a little while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HNAD! Congrats!

Comment

What's a resonance knob do?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Still tweaking with the knobs, but the resonance seems to give the tone a bit of more fullness.

According to Marshall:
        “You can have more bite and punch to your tone with the presence function and the resonance will give your sound depth.”

Comment

It replaces the "DEEP" switch. To shift the MIDS and give a bit more bottom.

Very nice amp!

Comment

Originally posted by CipherArcher View Post
            HNAD! Congrats!
            Thanks! Can’t wait to have a chance to crank it up.

Comment

Really cool score on the DSL for a great price!

I've had it described to me as kind of the opposite of a presence knob. In most amps the presence knob works at the end after the preamp gain - so you can use it to get a brighter sound (whereas the treble knob is before preamp gain, so if you crank that up you just get more distorted highs rather than brighter ones). The resonance knob is usually wired up in a similar way to control bass after the preamp gain.

Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Resonance and Presence are basically bass and treble controls for the power amp section. Bass, Treb, & Mid knobs are for the preamp tone stack. The Tone Shift button changes the structure of the mids. All kinds of fun stuff to play with here!

Comment

Those little amps flat our rip! Congrats
                  https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Thanks guys! Yeah this amp really rips! Even the reverb is decent, but it won’t replace my dispatch master pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                      Really cool score on the DSL for a great price!

I've had it described to me as kind of the opposite of a presence knob. In most amps the presence knob works at the end after the preamp gain - so you can use it to get a brighter sound (whereas the treble knob is before preamp gain, so if you crank that up you just get more distorted highs rather than brighter ones). The resonance knob is usually wired up in a similar way to control bass after the preamp gain.
                      Well, the more you know...

Comment

So got home from work early, and nobody was home so I got to crank it up, and fiddle with the knobs. The presence is quite noticeable, but the resonance is almost like a On/off switch, and mostly noticeable at moderate volume. I currently have it maxed out. The tone shift button is like a mid scoop button. This little amp just screams, I can’t believe how loud it got on the 10 watt setting, it totally blows my Mesa Subway away in volume. The classic gain channel has lots of headroom, which I didn’t expect. The ultra gain is very Marshall. Just in your face and cuts like a knife. Super happy with this thing, can’t believe what I paid for it.

Comment

Is that one of the newer ones running EL 34 power tubes? If so it should have more punch and headroom than the Rocket. If it has EL 84's then something is wrong with the Rocket. Have played the DSL 20 heads with the EL 34's nice amps but not the combo. Seriously doubt I would ever trade my Rocket for one though.
                          Still that is an absolutely screaming deal on one of those congrats.
                          Last edited by Ascension; 01-17-2022, 11:15 PM.
                          Guitars
                          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                            Is that one of the newer ones running EL 34 power tubes? If so it should have more punch and headroom than the Rocket. If it has EL 84's then something is wrong with the Rocket. Have played the DSL 20 heads with the EL 34's nice amps but not the combo. Seriously doubt I would ever trade my Rocket for one though.
                            Still that is an absolutely screaming deal on one of those congrats.
                            Yeah it does have EL34’s. The bigger cab and 12” Celestion speaker is a huge part of the equation too. But I swear my Subway used to be louder. Probably due for a retube. I’m never getting rid of it, I love the tone of the Rocket.

Comment

Originally posted by 1neeto View Post
                              So got home from work early, and nobody was home so I got to crank it up, and fiddle with the knobs. The presence is quite noticeable, but the resonance is almost like a On/off switch, and mostly noticeable at moderate volume. I currently have it maxed out. The tone shift button is like a mid scoop button. This little amp just screams, I can’t believe how loud it got on the 10 watt setting, it totally blows my Mesa Subway away in volume. The classic gain channel has lots of headroom, which I didn’t expect. The ultra gain is very Marshall. Just in your face and cuts like a knife. Super happy with this thing, can’t believe what I paid for it.

Maybe that switch is made to get that 'big thump sound' at lower volumes.

Comment

Working...
                              X