No announcement yet.

The Tone Chase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have a full drive 3 on the way since its supposed to have a high input impedance so maybe itll pair up with the '69 well. we shall see once the fd3 arrives and i find time lol

there is a tactile thing i love about a good germanium fuzzface and the way they clean up with the guitar volume is fantastic. my analogman nkt red dot sunface was my first good one, and still my favorite. ive come to appreciate others too though. germanium is a pita since if the temp isnt right, the pedal sounds broken, but just means dont leave the pedal in the cold or a hot car or whatever. the real issue is the way a ff doesnt really cut through a dense mix well, which is where stacking it with an od comes in

Comment

Video from 2012..

Most recent (2022)..

My recording quality is upgraded these days but cut through the mud/crud & I think my core sound's always been similar. Like a lot of others here, I've got a specific sound in my head that I gravitate towards. It's usually what I end up dialing in on all kinds of different gear. Not identical but the basic tonal characteristics are are there and it's always familiar sounding to me, no matter what gear I plug into. (So specific gear is'nt important to me..)
      "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        i have a full drive 3 on the way since its supposed to have a high input impedance so maybe itll pair up with the '69 well. we shall see once the fd3 arrives and i find time lol

there is a tactile thing i love about a good germanium fuzzface and the way they clean up with the guitar volume is fantastic. my analogman nkt red dot sunface was my first good one, and still my favorite. ive come to appreciate others too though. germanium is a pita since if the temp isnt right, the pedal sounds broken, but just means dont leave the pedal in the cold or a hot car or whatever. the real issue is the way a ff doesnt really cut through a dense mix well, which is where stacking it with an od comes in
        Have you tried any of the king tone pedals?
        The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

My Sherwood Carlsbro 60R has two 8" speakers; one regular mid/bass, and one full-range (with a protruding cone). The full-range is so harsh; I've taped a cotton kitchen cloth, on the inside of the speaker grille.

Now it sounds decent! :o. I first thought I had to buy a different speaker.

Actually a fun little amp; it's NOT 60 watts, though it's stated as so. It's a rather "brown" sound; with digital reverb - and a preamp compressor circuit- (which I think I've blown? Doesn't work anymore.)

Going to be fun, to run it in tandem with my Blackstar. Running my Behringer mixer in front, with "monitor send" to the Carlsbro!

-E
          If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post

Have you tried any of the king tone pedals?
            a friend has the duelist but i havent spent much time with it. ive heard good things about the line though

Comment

I mostly use A5 mag humbuckers, but P90's as well, that run about 8-8.8kohms in the bridge, in Les Pauls or similar guitars. SD '59's are my favorite pickup I find them uper consistent and really well balanced. I also use PAFs wound by my friend at Tone Master Pickups, they are a little tighter than the '59's not quite a much bottom end, very defined mids.

I prefer EL84 based amps but I also use 6L6's. My main amp is an Orange Dual Terror, damn near perfect amounts of grit and grind for me, super simple amp and it is a workhorse. I rarely run clean and generally go for a gain-y Rock n Roll sound with a minimum of FX. Boost, ODs, short delays and a light Phase are my go to's. My favorite speaker is the Greenback but I currently only have that in my Bassbreaker15 combo, I also push an Egnater 1x12 cab with an Emi GB128 in it when I use the BB for gigs. I use a 4x10 cab loaded with Emi Ramrod/Ragin Cajuns in an X pattern, I can run the cab open or closed. I also have an EVH 5150 III 50wt with 2 6L6's and a PV 412MS with the stock Sheffields that I use if I want a bigger sound than the 4x10.

I can pretty much get my sound where I want it with any of these rigs pretty easily though each do their own thing flavor-wise. The BB15 walks in between the EVH and the Orange with lots of similarities to both. The Orange is dirt simple to use and it just has my guitar playing personality in it, the EVH has so much effortless firepower it's the musclecar of my amps, and the Bluesbreaker is kind of like they had a baby at left it at the Fender factory to raise it lol.

I don't do anything that fancy but I am pretty particular about what I sound like. I wish I could describe it better but I'll say I shoot for Steve Jones playing old Nugent songs to Thunders in Aerosmith kind of sounds, I have for a long time. oh and Rick Nielsen too, I always want to have some Cheap Trick in my sound. When I really want to stretch out I go for Angus with broken fingers or Michael Schenker with amnesia. I also really like the early Cars guitar sounds, they imprinted on me when I was young and impressionable.

My Bands -
              https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

For starters, I'm ALWAYS going to be trying to get a slightly more ideal heavy rhythm tone. I like trying new stuff, so there is zero chance of me ever being done. That said, I've found desert island gear that would keep me happy indefinitely:

Either my PRS CE24 or EBMM JP6 (both tuned down a whole step, with DiMarzios) plugged into an iRig HD2, into my Macbook Pro M1 running Neural DSP: Archetype Gojira.

The Gojira plugin is beyond ridiculous. I've always used modeling stuff with tons of amps and options. This one has 3 amps, their respective cabinets, a small handful of pedals, and not a single bad tone available. I'm a few days into the 14 day trial, but they're getting my money.
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Did everybody quit chasing tones or did you catch them all?
                  I may have finally caught them, or it. I've always chased various Marshall tones, and I managed to work it out well with various amps through the years. An early 50 watt early JCM 800 was tops in that regard, but others worked well too.

Getting a Marshall plexi clone, a Rockitt Retro 50, pretty much ended it all for me. I also have a Trinity 18, a somewhat modded 18 clone for something a bit different, so I've been quite happy.

Comment

I'm taking a break from chasing tones.

Just for today; I'll resume tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                      I'm taking a break from chasing tones.

Just for today; I'll resume tomorrow.
                      Balance is a good thing. Kind of like catch and release. Chase the toanz, Catch them and then release them to the masses.
                      The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Balance is a good thing. Kind of like catch and release. Chase the toanz, Catch them and then release them to the masses.
                        Here's some d00dz catching and releasing da toanz:

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

Here's some d00dz catching and releasing da toanz:

Did you utilize the "caged" system to get you there?

Comment

Did you utilize the "caged" system to get you there?
                            Yep - Faraday.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                              For starters, I'm ALWAYS going to be trying to get a slightly more ideal heavy rhythm tone. I like trying new stuff, so there is zero chance of me ever being done. That said, I've found desert island gear that would keep me happy indefinitely:

Either my PRS CE24 or EBMM JP6 (both tuned down a whole step, with DiMarzios) plugged into an iRig HD2, into my Macbook Pro M1 running Neural DSP: Archetype Gojira.

The Gojira plugin is beyond ridiculous. I've always used modeling stuff with tons of amps and options. This one has 3 amps, their respective cabinets, a small handful of pedals, and not a single bad tone available. I'm a few days into the 14 day trial, but they're getting my money.
                              That Gojira rig is nice. I could easily be happy with anything I have but it is always fun finding more and or different.

Comment

I've resumed chasing toanz. Catching some schweet, schweet stuff with my new guitar.

Comment

Working...
                                X