Two Notes Torpedo C.A.B. M+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Notes Torpedo C.A.B. M+

Have any of you tried this before? Every yootoober and their mother seem to have one and I wonder what all the rage is about and I'd rather listen to your opinion than a sugarcoated sponsored content/sales pitch.

Living on the 4th floor surrounded with neighbors from all angles made me realize while trying to record samples of my latest pedal that I might get away with occasionally micing up my amp and running it loud enough for an SM57, but I dont wanna test their patience... So started thinking about a way to be able to record with my pedals and at the same time adding some of the flexibility of these modern sci-fi gadgets offer.

Yay or nay?

It is a nice piece of kit to have if you have a use for it. LLL here on the forum uses his all the time and loves it.
    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
      It is a nice piece of kit to have if you have a use for it. LLL here on the forum uses his all the time and loves it.
      Hah! And he usually sounds great on his shared clips! I hope he chimes in...

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post

Hah! And he usually sounds great on his shared clips! I hope he chimes in...
        I am sure he will. Are there any other similar products you are comparing or considering?
        The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

I saw a demo where the guy was running a MXR 5150 in front of it and it sounded fantastic. I was looking at that one but decided to get the DSM & Humboldt Simplifier instead. It's all analog with no programming. Only switches and dials and it sounds great. Even has an effects loop. I was able to replicate my amp very closely as a DI solution with the Simplifier and some pedals. I wouldn't mind the Torpedo C.A.B. M+ for home recording but I already have other options with Garageband and AmpliTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post

I am sure he will. Are there any other similar products you are comparing or considering?
            Haven't looked into much else yet. The clean preamp, which supposedly makes it a great pedal platform makes it intriguing. But I'm open to ideas. The idea would be to take the amp and cab and just those two out of the recording chain and end up with a credible sound without plugins and whatnot. Those are fine too and have plenty of them, but still...

Comment

I'm happy with mine. Hard to find something better with cab Sim, power amp sim and preamp. It's great if you're a tweaker. You can tweak every single setting. While it's accessible on the device, using the phone app is much simpler. It can be a bit overwhelming to have so much choice at times.

The three reasons I wouldn't get it would be: you want something simpler, you want stereo amps or you want multieffects.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post

The three reasons I wouldn't get it would be: you want something simpler, you want stereo amps or you want multieffects.
                Nope.
                Nope.
                Nope.

So that's another one in the "Yay" column.

Thx for the input!
                Last edited by nexion218; 02-08-2022, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                  I saw a demo where the guy was running a MXR 5150 in front of it and it sounded fantastic. I was looking at that one but decided to get the DSM & Humboldt Simplifier instead. It's all analog with no programming. Only switches and dials and it sounds great. Even has an effects loop. I was able to replicate my amp very closely as a DI solution with the Simplifier and some pedals. I wouldn't mind the Torpedo C.A.B. M+ for home recording but I already have other options with Garageband and AmpliTube.
                  My problem is that the last time I bougth a pedal based on reviews, I sent it back within 2 days... I liked 99% of the demos and when I plugged in it actually sounded like the 1% I didn't like

That Simplifier being fully means that it is hardwire for a number of emulation and no changing or adding to it afterwards, right?

Comment

That Simplifier being fully means that it is hardwire for a number of emulation and no changing or adding to it afterwards, right?
                    Correct. Very WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get). But it sounds great. I like that the emulated mic position can be adjusted, and I can even use it with a regular guitar amp as well as DI. The "thru" setting on the left 1/4 output sends the signal straight from the input to that output for that purpose. It doesn't include the effects loop though, which is fine as I have the same effects on my amp as I do on my pedalboard. It's a really cool device. Look it up.

If you don't want to add anything and want something simple and to the point for this purpose, this is it. If you want to add to it and tweak like mad, the Two Notes is the better option.

Comment

Have any of you tried this before? Every yootoober and their mother seem to have one and I wonder what all the rage is about and I'd rather listen to your opinion than a sugarcoated sponsored content/sales pitch.

Living on the 4th floor surrounded with neighbors from all angles made me realize while trying to record samples of my latest pedal that I might get away with occasionally micing up my amp and running it loud enough for an SM57, but I dont wanna test their patience... So started thinking about a way to be able to record with my pedals and at the same time adding some of the flexibility of these modern sci-fi gadgets offer.

Yay or nay?
                      I've had one for... 2-3 years now (?).

It's a combination Speaker I.R. (2 speakers max, 2 mics max), Tube Power Amp emulator, EQ, Reverb, even "Tonerizer" section... with bonus XLR D.I.

Has microUSB jack for connecting to computer (Torpedo Remote software)

Has 2 knobs so you can fiddle with all parameters on the unit itself

Has Bluetooth so you can fiddle with all parameters on your phone (with app)

It is not a resistive or reactive load

For example, if I wanted a micro-rig (guitar, 2 pedals - that's it) for running to FOH, I would do this:

guitar
                      |
                      AMT M2
                      |
                      CAB M+
                      |
                      FOH

What do you want to know?

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

What do you want to know?
                        Is it the best thing since sliced bread?

Seriously though:
                        Are the emulaions really that spot on as advertised?
                        The M+ (the version I'm interested in) has a supposedly super clean preamp emulation. Is that really true?
                        What about noise? I read some comments where the guy had tremendous noise issues with it and/or had problem using the boost switch. Any issues with that on your side? (The guy might've been a jagoff, I'd be surprised to learn that the unit has such issues...)
                        I am interested in the home recording use... Any latency related observations?
                        I am fairly familiar with the Neural DSP stuff. How do you think the quality of sound and emulation of the Torpedo stacks up against the Neural plugins?
                        Would I be right to think that this is basically an advanced high quality outboard plugin?

Comment

Is it the best thing since sliced bread?

Mostly.

Seriously though:
                          Are the emulaions really that spot on as advertised?

Their Dynamic (dynamic because you can adjust the mic position) iRs sound excellent. Spot on? couldn't tell ya cuz I don't own the vast majority of cabs.

You can also import your own iRs (2 iRs max, but no mic positioning of course) - like OwnHammer, etc

The M+ (the version I'm interested in) has a supposedly super clean preamp emulation. Is that really true?

I haven't done anything with the preamp emulation, but it does have a great tube power amp emu (with different tube types)

What about noise? I read some comments where the guy had tremendous noise issues with it and/or had problem using the boost switch. Any issues with that on your side? (The guy might've been a jagoff, I'd be surprised to learn that the unit has such issues...)

No noise. There is a switch on the side to adjust the line in level, there is also a noise gate.

I am interested in the home recording use... Any latency related observations?

No latency whatsoever, even running at max iR length of 200ms

I am fairly familiar with the Neural DSP stuff. How do you think the quality of sound and emulation of the Torpedo stacks up against the Neural plugins?
                          Would I be right to think that this is basically an advanced high quality outboard plugin?

Never used Neural (but I do have Nolly's GetGoodDrums which are excellent).

It's very much like a portable plugin.

From the manual:

2.3 Only A Speaker Simulator? The Torpedo C.A.B. M is a standalone unit you can bring with you in any situation, whenever sending direct sound to a PA or silent playing is needed.

The role of the Torpedo C.A.B. M is to replace the following elements of the traditional guitar or bass setup:

- the guitar/bass power amplifier
                          - the speaker cabinet
                          - the microphone
                          - the microphone preamplifier

In order to provide a signal that is the closest possible to a traditional guitar/bass miking in a professional studio environment.
                          Last edited by LLL; 02-08-2022, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Check out Big Hairy Guitars' Michael Nielsen fiddling with one:

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

From the manual:

2.3âÂÂOnly A Speaker Simulator? The Torpedo C.A.B. M is a standalone unit you can bring with you in any situation, whenever sending direct sound to a PA or silent playing is needed.

The role of the Torpedo C.A.B. M is to replace the following elements of the traditional guitar or bass setup:

- the guitar/bass power amplifier
                              - the speaker cabinet
                              - the microphone
                              - the microphone preamplifier

In order to provide a signal that is the closest possible to a traditional guitar/bass miking in a professional studio environment.
                              Sweeeeeet! I really like the idea of not being stuck with factory presets and the addition of a preamp with the M+ update together with all the positive info from you guys it sounds like the fire is already lit to burn the next batch of cash...

I really don't like the sound the guy settles on in the video, but he clearly shows what the Torpedo does to it and it sounds prrrrretty good!

Comment

Working...
                              X