No announcement yet.

Speaker comparison (Celestion content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker comparison (Celestion content)

Hi guys,

I have two speakers not currently being used (G12T-75 and V30) and an empty 12” cab. Short of buying a Weber or Jensen, which of the two listed are more suited towards Surf (Fender cleans) or Blues? I’m thinking maybe the G12T-75, as I can always use less bass. Vintage 30 seems like it would break up too easily.

Thank you.

Yes, the Vintage 30 will break up earlier but the G12T-75 is about as far as you can get from a Fender-type speaker. The G12T-75 is mid-forward a Fender speaker will have more relaxed mids. What type of amp are you pushing the speakers with? Are you sure you will get them to "break up"?

If you are looking for a Celestion that is more Fender I would look at the A - Type but that has less power handling than the two speakers you mentioned.

Comment

What amp? If it's not high-powered (e.g. something less than 40 watts maybe) and very clean, either could work about the same. If it's 65 - 80 watts I'd think the 75 would say clean, though might have a strong peak in the mids IMO. Might work decent.

Comment

As far as amps, I’ve got a Super Champ X2 and Egnater Tweaker 15. I believe both are 15 watts. I also have a ****ty stock Carvin VL12-16 - but I think I’d rather eat my shoe than use that.

Comment

I don't think either amp will drive the speaker to a noticeable breakup being 60 and 75w. I would go with the Vintage 30. I have used Celestrions with Fender amps for years. It can sound great but it is a different animal than the stock Fender speakers.

Comment

As others said; Celestions go with Fender type amps (a little mid scoop) just fine. Their mids fill out the lack of mids of the amp. I like the combination of the British speakers with an American type amp a lot. Between the G12T75 and the V30, I would go for the V30, had that one in my Blues Deluxe for years.
            As for the recommendation regarding the A-type, I wouldn’t go that route if it were me. I played them in a Fender Hotrod Deville IV (2x12” A-types) and it left me way underwhelmed. To me it was a dull and lifeless speaker. The V-type on the otherhand, is really great. Think V30, without the upper mid spike. Absolutely brilliant. I use a pair of these in the 2x12” cab that goes with my ‘64 Bandmaster. A fabulous combination.
            Last edited by LRS; 02-21-2022, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X