NRD - New Rig Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NRD - New Rig Day!

Actually, it has been a couple of weeks since I put it together, but here it is!

Click image for larger version

Name:	275947065_10160162462115746_1632480633679854563_n.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	6161047

I recently moved to Canada, and I couldn't take my old EVH LBX and Orange PPC112 rig that I use to jam at home. So back when I was still in Mexico, I got the HX Stomp thinking I would only play using headphones.

But I missed playing through an actual cab, even at quiet volumes. So I went ahead and put a little rig together around the HX Stomp which I already had (and that I love). So I found a used Krank cab for sale ultra cheap around here, and I grabbed it. I always wanted to play an Alnico speaker, so I found one for sale in a store around here... not cheap, but not as expensive as I've seen in other stores, so I bought a Celestion Gold for the cab. Then, well... I needed a poweramp, LOL. So I was looking at the Duncan Powerstage and Orange Pedal Baby initially, but every store in Canada seemed to be sold out. I found, however, a Mooer Tube Engine at a store in Toronto, so I had it shipped. It took a while to arrive, but it is here! 20W tube poweramp.

So far, I'm really digging the sounds! I've not yet had the chance to crank it, though. But the Tube Engine doesn't seem as loud as the EVH LBX. Or at least, the taper on the master volume is more linear. At medium and low volumes, it really sounds nice, though. The finesse of the Alnico speaker really comes through, and the tube feel from the poweramp is there. Honestly, I dig the Krank cab much more than I did the Orange. I was never 100% happy with the Orange cab. It sounded super dark and boxy, no matter what speaker I put it in it (I left it with a Greenback in there, which sounded nice, but not as nice as the Krank with the Gold). And well, the HX Stomp I absolutely adore. Sounds super natural. Much better than the old POD's I used to play.

So all in all, I'm happy!

Well, it isn't a Mesa 90/90, but if it works, it works! Rock on Rex!!!
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Excellent!

Comment

Me likey! It is compact but powerful and mega flexible. I am sure you can pull in any tone you desire.

Comment

Nice rig. I love discovering unexpected combinations that get the tone you're looking for.

Comment

Thanks, dudes! Really digging the Krank cab with the Celestion Gold. The Krank cab's frame is solid wood, supposedly, as opposed to plywood. Don't know how that impacts tone, but I've gotta say, it's much more up-front-sounding than what I remember the Orange PPC112 being. Nice cab for sure!

Comment

Working...
            X