banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with hot-running (temp) SS amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with hot-running (temp) SS amp?

My Carlsbro Sherwood 60R combo gets very hot, on the rear side of the amp chassis. Even when used at moderate volumes, for an hour. If I touch it somewhere near the power-prong side, I'll almost burn my fingers.

I haven't opened up yet; but I'm going to. I suspect they have even built the amp to run hot, so that it won't last.

Anyhow; I'm thinking how to solve this problem? If I had a proper dremel w/saw heads; I'd make a hole in the metal chassis and install a fan?
    -and heatsinks on the power transistors ++, if that would help.

any 2c? (please don't just tell me, it's a cheap amp )

Thanks
    -Erlend
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

It shouldn't be getting that hot, I would probably try to find the root cause.

Comment

Sounds like it's trying to draw too much current, which likely means a voltage level in a component or the like. If it was just super hot on the chassis I wouldnt be as worried, but honestly, I wouldn't use an amp that got that hot at the prong -thats legit fire danger.

Get it looked at.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Thanks for the answers.

The heat isn't coming from the power prong/connector itself, but the area around it (right side). Also, the whole amp is a closed-off box with no ventilation- in a vinyl covered closed combo.

I got alot to do- thursday morning at 7 we're off for a 10hour drive to Korsfjord; to attain a conference.

But I'll take the amp out of the chassis, as soon as I get the time. Maybe take some pics to share- if I can't see/locate any obvious reasons.

(sorry for my "accusations" in earlier posts... but when things get like this, I'm wondering "hey, maybe they're letting it heat up, to collapse after some years. Or it would last 35 years lol)

It's a fine piece of gear; - so I want to keep it in perfect working order.

Thanks again, and see ya laters! ♪

-Erl
        If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Get yourself a little mini fridge and store the amp in there
          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

...yeah, then the fridge can contain the smoke and the moisture inside will put out the fire when it draws too much current.

Comment

What input voltage is the amp designed to use? What is the wall voltage that's feeding the amp?

Comment

Sorry if I'm "digging up a corpse" (bumpity) here;

but OK- today I'm taking the amp out of the enclosure, to have a look.

While I'm waiting for ... heatsinks, a dremel with metal sawblade, and some small fans; :o
                -I might be running the amp , sitting on top /on the side of the combo cabinet.

I'll post back tonight; after I've done some inspections.

blessed be,
                -Erl ♪

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                  What input voltage is the amp designed to use? What is the wall voltage that's feeding the amp?
                  I think it should be allright. Though, wall voltages are often quite high; 240-247v, while the apparatus is made for 220-230.

-My multimeter is still at my mother's; - but I'll get it back (along with amp, pedals and guitars) in a few weeks.

The amp has no holes, fans or anything; it is hermetically closed.

I will see, what I can do. I even got a bimetal-temperature switch, from a heating oven; that opens at 60*c. If I want, I could make an on/off/auto fan switch at the back.

(sorry for my utopical fantasies.)

-E

Comment

Yeah!

*-I was about to remove the entire amp from the combo enclosure;

and the first thing I see, is that the heat coming from aside the power prong; is a heatsink on the power transformer; mounted to the chassis. Quality build.

Also, there is a HUGE! heatsink in the middle of it.

I chose to simply shove the amp 1 inch back, so that the warm air can escape, by the 1" gap. This will work momentarily.

... if/ I get around to it, I'll install a small DC fan; with a simple on/off switch.

Sorry for no pictures,
                    but thanks for all replies.

Rock on, my friends.

-Erlend

Comment

I meant to write:

"WHEN I get around to it- I'll install a small DC fan."

-Erl

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
                        Some gut pics will definitely shed some light. Not all amplifiers need ventilation slots, its important to remember. Some are designed to warm up and reach a thermal equilibrium, exhausting heat through exterior walls, top, heat sinks, etc. Sometimes the rear panel is enough, maybe with an internal heat sink between the outer panel and the output devices to act as a kind of thermal header to collect heat from those devices and spread it out over a larger surface area. Of course, none of that means there isnt something that has gone seriously wrong.
                        Thanks for replying.

-You gave me a great idea! - instead of mounting a fan, I could mount a heatsink w/ thermal paste; on the exterior side of the chassis

... thanks alot

-Erl

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post

Thanks for replying.

-You gave me a great idea! - instead of mounting a fan, I could mount a heatsink w/ thermal paste; on the exterior side of the chassis

... thanks alot

-Erl
                          Lots of SS amps have built in heatsinks. Well, traditionally anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

Lots of SS amps have built in heatsinks. Well, traditionally anyways.
                            Or it could be the heat from the BrUtULz
                            The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post

Or it could be the heat from the BrUtULz
                              Wonder which frequencies create the BrUtULz heat?

Or maybe it's just one freq...?

Comment

Working...
                              X