Stupid question about tube amps...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid question about tube amps...

So I ordered an XXX combo, but I've never used a tube amp before. What are the routines i follow with the switches when turning the amp on and off?

Re: Stupid question about tube amps...

Power on with standby activated for a bit (30 seconds or so) before you start playing, then switch standby off (or the switch might be labeled standby/on, in which case you'd set it standby first and then move it to "on" to play). As far as powering down, I always just turn the amp off, then flip the standby switch back for the next time I power up.
    After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

That wasn't a stupid question... I didn't know either. I've been playing with the standby switch in use... Thanks for bringing up the topic, milkandmeat and for the help fretfire. Keep rocking, dudes.

Oh yeah, and congrats on the new amp, milk!
      Squier Strat (JB Jr.)
      Peavey Valve King 1x12
      Ibanez PF15CE Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Hmm, some people are saying to turn standy on first, some are saying turn power on first. Which do I bleieve?

Comment

power, warm up for a bit, then stand by

this is to preserve tube life - warm the tubes before you let full power reach the power tubes
          "music heals"
          facebook

Comment

"STANDBY SWITCH- This two-way toggle switch allows the amp to be place in STANDBY mode. In the STANDBY position the tubes stay hot but the amplifier is not operational.Switching to the ON position places the amp in active mode."

Thats what came off peavey.com. That says the amp is not operational is standby mode.

Comment

Power on first, then after a little while, standby to the position where the amp makes sound... It does get confusing with the "designations"...

When powering off, the reverse order would be ideal, but not necessary. (just avoids strange sounds especially in some amps...)

That wasn't a dumb question at all.......

Jeff Seal
              ..lots and lots of toys!

"...swords and tequila, carry me through the fight!"

"I am Phil"....
              www.houstonamprepair.com

Comment

Read my post right before yours. Why does the Peavey manual say it won't work in standby mode when everyone is telling me that's what mode you should be using when playing.

Comment

Ahh, nevermind I see now. I figured that "STANDBY position meant the standby switch should be turned on. the standby switch has "standby" written under it, and "on" above it. so when I turn it to "on" it means standby is off, correct? I assumed that "on" meant standby on.

Comment

You got it, standby is actually "off" and "on" means you're ready to rock-n-roll!

Jeff Seal
                    ..lots and lots of toys!

"...swords and tequila, carry me through the fight!"

"I am Phil"....
                    www.houstonamprepair.com

Comment

You see how well that went? Let that be a lesson to the rest of you.

If you have a question, ask. We won't make fun of you. (much...lol)

Kidding! As the old cliche goes, "The only dumb question is the one that you don't ask."
                      Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Comment

Working...
                      X