Bugera PS 1 Power Soak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bugera PS 1 Power Soak

A few years ago I had a Marshall DSL20 head, but there was an issue with the FX loop on the older models and, well, it just never sounded that good to me. I sold it and bought a Peavey 6505 MH which sounded GREAT but just didn't look very good IMO. So I bought another DSL20HR in the hope the newer models would be better.
    The thing is, a Peavey 6505MH can go from 20 watts down to 5 or even 1 watt, so you can crank them and get a nice saturated tone. The Marshall only does 10 Watts minimum which is still FAR too loud for bedroom use and you're lucky if you can turn the master volume up to about 2 or 3!
    So I bought a Bugera PS1 and I have to say, this thing is an absolute bargain. Yes, it muffles the high end somewhat but all you have to do is turn up the treble and presence. I mean, if you're looking for the Holy Grail of tone and thinking of recording the next Appetite For Destruction or Master of Puppets with a PS1 hooked up, it's hardly ideal, but for playing in your bedroom and making a 20W amp SING it's an absolute Godsend. With the PS 1 I can crank the amp's master volume to 7 or more and it makes SUCH a big difference. The annoying fizziness of an un-cranked tube amp is gone, it sounds much more like you expect a Marshall to, even at low volumes.
    I absolutely love the thing!
    I think this would be a worthwhile addition to ANY bedroom guitarist's setup and probably useful for guys using 100W amps for small local gigs because it will let you crank things harder while losing little of the original tone.
    My website - https://stevenamckay.com/

My gear - Gibson- Les Pauls - 2 x Classic (sunburst and ebony), Slash Standard, DC Special Tribute, SG Standard, Explorer, Flying V. 1980 Hamer Sunburst.
    MIM Fender Strat. MIK Squier Tele. Jackson JDR94, Kelly, Concert Bass. Fender acoustic. Mandolin.
    Spark Mini, Marshall DSL20HR, 1912.

*** "Go long go deep" >>>

Comment

Majority of my rehearsals i use an X-100 Rockman.

Comment

As far as attenuators go the Bugera is pretty basic and not the best design or components, its actually a lower budget copy of the Jettattenuator as Chinese manufacturers require customers to share copyrights & patents.
        Its a purely resistive load.
        Im surprised you need any attenuator with such low watt amps.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
          As far as attenuators go the Bugera is pretty basic and not the best design or components, its actually a lower budget copy of the Jettattenuator as Chinese manufacturers require customers to share copyrights & patents.
          Its a purely resistive load.
          Im surprised you need any attenuator with such low watt amps.
          Have you ever tried playing a 20W DSL at even half volume into a 1 x 12? It's incredibly loud in a small room. You can turn it down but the tone gets really fizzy and unpleasant so the PS1 lets you crank it and make the tone much nicer.

My gear - Gibson- Les Pauls - 2 x Classic (sunburst and ebony), Slash Standard, DC Special Tribute, SG Standard, Explorer, Flying V. 1980 Hamer Sunburst.
          MIM Fender Strat. MIK Squier Tele. Jackson JDR94, Kelly, Concert Bass. Fender acoustic. Mandolin.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfshead View Post

Have you ever tried playing a 20W DSL at even half volume into a 1 x 12? It's incredibly loud in a small room. You can turn it down but the tone gets really fizzy and unpleasant so the PS1 lets you crank it and make the tone much nicer.

Wattage is a terrible thing to waste.
            Amps are suppose to be loud Bro because they amplify.
            Gotta be honest an attenuator w/a 1w or 20w amp sounds re-dick-a-lus to me.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

Wattage is a terrible thing to waste.
              Amps are suppose to be loud Bro because they amplify.
              Gotta be honest an attenuator w/a 1w or 20w amp sounds re-dick-a-lus to me.
              Ok cool.

Comment

I would be very suspicious of anything "power soak" wise coming from Bugera.

Comment

Anything Bugera is suspect IMO.
                  The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
                    I hear, "Bugera", I think " Bugger-a".

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

I hear, "Bugera", I think " Bugger-a".
                      As in Canada?
                      The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

As in Canada?
                        As in the British slang.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

As in the British slang.
                          Gotcha

Comment

jah >

Comment

Was curious about these as one had come up for sale used a while back and I was going to grab it for my son to use with his Marshall Studio Vintage (yes a 20 watt amp really can need an attenuator, that thing is loud af!!) , in the end I decided not to get it, probably would have been fine but I didn't know anything about them. He really wants to get a Weber Mini mas, not too terribly priced and great reports on using it specifically with a Studio Vintage. I'm uneducated as far as attenuation, are there any risks to your amp from using a "power soak" like the Bugera?
                              Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
                              Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
                              Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
                              Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

Working...
                              X