NAD - Frankly I am impressed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD - Frankly I am impressed

I just picked up an 80's Carvin X100B ala Mr. Zappa. I am pumped I have wanted this amp for decades. The great thing is I can set it to 100-50-25 watts so using it for home practice will be an option. The interesting thing is the tubes were shipped in a separate box and numbered for their positions in the amp. The preamp tubes are JJs with the exception of V1 being a Mesa-Boogie. The power tubes are Ruby EL34s. Out of the box and at first blush it has plenty of gain. However, I know Vai used an MXR D+ to push his so I will definitely be noodling around with my D+ in the next few days.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/P1uhRnH.jpg[img]

Comment

Very clean for 80s amp. With the bias switch do you just plug in new power tubes without manual adjustment?

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
        Very clean for 80s amp. With the bias switch do you just plug in new power tubes without manual adjustment?
        Thanks. I am not sure I haven't dug into the manual just yet. However, I have 6L6's in my Fender so I have a feeling I will be leaving this as-is for a while. That could change I have a set of NOS 6L6s sitting in a box in the basement.

EDIT: I just looked it up and after switching tubes I should be able to simply flip the switch. There is a bias adjust but is only needed if the amp is way out of whack.
        Last edited by Securb; 04-07-2022, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Cool. My Laney has that switch too as well as a bias adjustment point inside but no bias trim pot. Weird.

I love the metal grill on the cabinet. Road tough.

Comment

Looks like a helluva good time! Makes me think Steve though not Frank, just because I was aware of him first and iirc he was on some ad for the model.

Comment

Now, that's seriously cool! Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                Looks like a helluva good time! Makes me think Steve though not Frank, just because I was aware of him first and iirc he was on some ad for the model.
                I haven't spent more than a half-hour or so with it because I am working from home and getting ready to head out to practice. It sounds incredible! There is a DRIVE knob and a GAIN switch. Cranking the CHANNEL volume and the DRIVE and rolling back the master I am getting a Frank type of overdriven tube lead sound. When I hit the GAIN switch there is more gain and it gets more compressed almost like there is a pedal on it. I am thinking it might be an additional FET preamp? There is enough gain to easily play metal or thrash. Right now I am calling the GAIN switch the Frank/Steve switch or Vintage/Modern switch. Hitting the GAIN switch gives a ton of sustain even at low volumes and amazing touch sensitivity.
                Last edited by Securb; 04-07-2022, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                  There is a bias adjust but is only needed if the amp is way out of whack.
                  If you are replacing a similar family tube (Example EL-34 with a rating of X) with same then you can get away with it. If the EL-34 is rated different you will need to bias. The one way to know if it is "way out of wack" is to actually do the calculations and get the proper reading.

If the amp plays and sounds good I would play it as is. Rolling tubes and changing tubes won't always give you what you want. If the amp works, play the heck out of it until you have to change tubes.
                  The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
                    If the amp plays and sounds good I would play it as is. Rolling tubes and changing tubes won't always give you what you want. If the amp works, play the heck out of it until you have to change tubes.
                    That is the plan. It sounds great no reason to futz with it. So far in a short time, it has met all expectations. Can't wait for the weekend when I can spend some real-time with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

That is the plan. It sounds great no reason to futz with it. So far in a short time, it has met all expectations. Can't wait for the weekend when I can spend some real-time with it.
                      That amp was the first Head/4x12 cab set up I ever had as a kid. Regrettably, I sold it to help raise money for my first Marshall and Jackson guitar. Overall, the Carvin sounded better than the Marshall in all truth.
                      The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Excellent; Regardless of the stigma, Carvin made good stuff.

Just remember - you NEVER go full Carvin!
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Attached Files
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

My first channel switcher was a x100b circa 1994. The Fozzy Bear series I called it for the fabric covering. Ran 34's as I recall. The 25 watt setting always seemed to lack the ooomph in the low end compared to the 50 or 100 so I ran it at 50 most of the time. Years later I found an older model like yours for like 75 bucks so I nabbed it without really giving it a good look. Turns out somebody had put 6V6's in it. It worked but gave up after a year or so. Lord knows what the thing actually lived through before I got it. But Fozzy served me well for years in my first band and survived 100 or so gigs. It's long gone but the 4x12 cab is still good as new save the right side which has been great fun for every cat I've had. And Ace is wrong. You can go full Carvin. I rocked a DC127 neck-through that I picked up for two hundred bucks through Fozzy for two years before my first PRS. Mostly rednecks and bikers and nobody every chucked a full beer at me as I was rocking the F outta Sin City or Simple Man.

So enjoy the nostalgia and rock it proud!

Comment

Does it keep its tone at the different wattage settings?
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X