NAD - Frankly I am impressed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Does it keep its tone at the different wattage settings?
    My fist impression is pretty much. However, I only got to play with it at 25-watts for a quick minute before heading out to practice. The 25-watt setting sounds great. However, with the master volume I can even tame the 50-100 watt setting for bedroom volumes. I will play it a bit more before work in the morning. Today was more about dialing in a decent tone which was very easy with the EQ and PRESSENCE knob. I will get back to you on this.

Comment

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
      https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
      Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Frankly, I'm wondering what Frank Lee would think.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          Frankly, I'm wondering what Frank Lee would think.
          Not sure who he is. I do know your down boys from Warrant used Carvins.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Thanks. I am not sure I haven't dug into the manual just yet. However, I have 6L6's in my Fender so I have a feeling I will be leaving this as-is for a while. That could change I have a set of NOS 6L6s sitting in a box in the basement.

EDIT: I just looked it up and after switching tubes I should be able to simply flip the switch. There is a bias adjust but is only needed if the amp is way out of whack.
            What switch? Looks like its missing.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

What switch? Looks like its missing.
              It is below the panel. You would need to use a small screwdriver to toggle it. This is by design to prevent someone from toggling it by accident.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

It is below the panel. You would need to use a small screwdriver to toggle it. This is by design to prevent someone from toggling it by accident.

That's a cool feature. I'd love to know what the differences of the 2 tube types are.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I wonder what it sounds like after tube change without proper biasing, only flipping the switch.

Gesendet von meinem ASUS_X00RD mit Tapatalk

Comment

That's a cool feature. I'd love to know what the differences of the 2 tube types are.
                    This is what I found on Carvin's website. It is fairly straightforward and obvious, just basic information on tubes in general. I would be more interested in finding out how the tubes affects the feel of the amp. Like I said the touch sensitivity is amazing on this amp. I finally have some time today to play with the amp more but I think it will be a while before I play around with the tubes, if ever.

X100B 100W HEAD

EL34: A classic choice for rock and gritty blues, the EL34 is characterized by its pronounced, aggressive midrange and tight lows. Four EL34s are used in the power sections of Carvin Audio’s X100B and Steve Vai Legacy heads to help give them their signature crunch, bite, and definition.

EL84: This is the lower power little brother to the EL34 and breaks up more noticeably, producing a warmer tone at lower volumes. It also has a more prominent, punchy high end with more clarity and shimmer in the treble frequencies. The Carvin Audio Belair 2X12 is equipped with four EL84s for its thick, rich sound.

6L6GC and close brother the 5881: These are known for their higher perceived headroom and their ability to stay cleaner longer. Not nearly as gritty as the EL34 or EL84, these are great for a squeaky-clean sound that’s fairly neutral across the frequency spectrum. The speaker used may make a more significant tone difference. The “GC”, sometimes dropped or shortened when referring to this tube, indicates the glass container or top. The original 6L6 had an all metal top instead of glass, like many original tubes had. The 5881 was the 25 watt version of the 30 watt 6L6GC, but this difference has been blurred in modern manufacturing with some companies labeling these two interchangeably. A side note: the speakers used in the classic amps noted for using 6L6s are very different, so don’t get caught thinking your British rock tone will change to American tone with just a power tube change.

6550: The 6550 is a different kind of beast and much higher wattage. This one doesn’t see much use in guitar amps today, but its warm, full, and powerful output places it right at home in bass amplifiers with over 100 watts.

Comment

Does it keep its tone at the different wattage settings?
                      It sounds "good" in all settings.
                      • 25-watt setting seems a bit thinner and grainier. The bottom and mids do not seem as full.
                      • 50-watts the mids start to get more pronounced, some compression kicks in, the amp seems to have more bottom
                      • 100-watts the touch sensitivity gets much better and the sound is very full. It has a tight bottom and much more pronounced mids. The leads are very "violin-like" the amp really sings.
                      With all of this amp's flexibility with EQ, I am very positive I can dial in a great tone with any power setting. I am going to look at the schematic later today. I am curious if 100 watts = 4 tubes, 50-watts = 2 tubes and 25-watts = 1 tube. I also want to research that DRIVE switch a bit more.

Comment

I would guess 100w is 4 Pentode, 50w is either 4 in Triode or 2 Pentode, 25w is 2 in Triode. I don't think it would be wise to have a circuit that can wear down one tube individually.

Comment

Here's that Carvin amp doing some of the greatest doom metal ever made.

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

That's heavy. Almost sounds like it was recorded at 30ips and played back at 7.5ips

Comment

The X100B is a neat amp. I had one years ago, but it didn't fit my fancy. The clean channel was great, spanky, clean, and fantastic overall. The gain channel just wasn't my cup-o-tea. It is a unique design for sure.

The preamp does use a SS ( either a FET or a transistor chip ) component in the earlier stages. There is, of course, a chip for the EQ section as well. I would totally dig getting another one sometime, and a Peavey Ultra 120 too! The Peavey Ultra 120 also had a really neat clean channel and the gain channel was also awesome. I got rid of the Peavey Ultra because it smelled so bad of cigarettes, I couldn't stand to be near it. I replaced it with a Peavey XXX ( the direct descendant of the Ultra ). The XXX is a great amp, but not quite what the Ultra was. I regret selling the X100B, mainly because I know I would probably be more smitten with it now than I was then.

Comment

I used to have an old XV212 combo until a resistor let the smoke out. I pulled the amp out and continue to use the cabinet. Mine was old enough to not have the bias switch. And it took 6L6's. Still have a couple of the original 6L6 Telefunken tubes from it. And they're still functional.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X