No announcement yet.

NAD - Frankly I am impressed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a Series IV the last version they built. Yep those are monsters! Great very modern voiced high tones in those amps. Does yours have the digital verb or a spring?
    That's not the Steve Vai amp that is the reissue and is a whole other animal. Really nice amps and here s a good friend of mine former Carvin Endorser Keith Miller with his series IV X amp and Carvin DC 727.
    .PS I have one of the 91 X 50 B Hot Rod Mod heads that they used Vai's Blue Powder as the demo for it's a much different amp.
    Here is ol Kiefie live with his early Series IV signed head.

Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

All these guitar tracks Kieth recorded with series IV X heads and cabs like yours.

Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

More from Kieth and his solo stuff all guitar tracks here were recorded with Series IV X amps.

Guitars

Comment

Here is my old gray rat fur Series III Hot Rod Mod X 100B half stack live at my old Church. I was playing a Pearl White 1988 Carvin V220 this day and the only effect was a old Rockman delay in the loop. What a KILLER rig this one was!!
          The best independent music community on the net. Listen to music, buy and sell beats and albums.
          Guitars

Comment

I have a 1986 Carvin X-100 B, got it brand new back in the day (1986 ) .

It doesn't have the drive of JCM 800, but put a good distortion thru the front input, it will out do a JCM 800 and it has Fender Cleans on the clean channel.
            The effects loop is buffered and with the 5 band graphic Eq, you can easily get a Marshall or Mesa Boogie sound .

Good choice and enjoy the amp

Comment

Update: I am using the Carvin as my No. 1 right now the tone sculpting is impressive, and with the right stomp it really delivers the brutz.

Comment

I get a bit of noise when I hit the preamp with effects. I think it might be new tube time, which begs the question: Should I go 6L6 or EL34?

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                  I get a bit of noise when I hit the preamp with effects. I think it might be new tube time, which begs the question: Should I go 6L6 or EL34?
                  I like both, however, the louder I go the more I like 6L6. They seem more rich sounding to me.
                  Yep, 6L6 with the mids turned up.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                    KT-77.

Comment

• That's not a 80's amp. That's the series IV reissue that was built up into the teens when the family split happened and the guitar side became Kiesel. Those are absolutely wicked amps! I own a 1991Series III X 50 B Hot Rod Mod amp now and have owned many Carvin amps.
                      Guitars

Comment

• Originally posted by maug2122 View Post
                        I have a 1986 Carvin X-100 B, got it brand new back in the day (1986 ) .

It doesn't have the drive of JCM 800, but put a good distortion thru the front input, it will out do a JCM 800 and it has Fender Cleans on the clean channel.
                        The effects loop is buffered and with the 5 band graphic Eq, you can easily get a Marshall or Mesa Boogie sound .

Good choice and enjoy the amp
                        That series IV am has a lot more gain on tap than a JCM 800. Those are downright brutal amps if you crank the gain and eq them right
                        Guitars

Comment

• Originally posted by Ascension View Post

That series IV am has a lot more gain on tap than a JCM 800. Those are downright brutal amps if you crank the gain and eq them right
                          I have to agree out of the gate, the X100B has a huge amount of gain, and then, if needed, the internal boost can be engaged to push it over the top. Mine has more gain than my JCM 2000.

Comment

• Please correct me if I have been miss informed.
                            From what I was told the pre 1987 Carvin's used only 6L6 power tubes, but from 1987 to the closing of Carvin's amp division in 2017, they has a switch so you could use 6L6 or EL 84 power tubes .

Comment

• Not sure of the year but yes I have the switch mine is a Series IV

Comment

• Originally posted by maug2122 View Post
                                Please correct me if I have been miss informed.
                                From what I was told the pre 1987 Carvin's used only 6L6 power tubes, but from 1987 to the closing of Carvin's amp division in 2017, they has a switch so you could use 6L6 or EL 84 power tubes .
                                Not EL-84, EL-34.

Comment

Working...
                                X