Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Securb
    replied
    That is my poor Strat; it gets swapped out depending on the weather. It had a P Rails, then a Black Winter, in the picture that is a Colossal Incantation.

Right now, a Dimebucker/Lawrence 250ML vibe is going on for the studio project I am working on.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    Sorry to go off topic, but I love that single-bucker Strat, with the Babicz. Interesting volume control. Is that a Screamin' Demon?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Securb_Fender_Strat.png
Views:	51
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	6276856

Leave a comment:

• Securb
    replied
    I get the Fender/Marshall/Mesa Boogie comparisons and agree, but I have never heard anything VOX-like coming out of my amp. That being said, I have never tried to coax a VOX out of it, and with all of the tone shaping in this amp, I would consider it to be entirely possible. Mine is dialed in as a very thumpy hot-rodded 800. So thumpy that my bass player says I am infringing on his sonic territory and he is getting lost in the mix.

Leave a comment:

• maug2122
    replied
    Originally posted by Securb View Post

Pre 1987 Carvin X-100 B's was Carvin's answer to the Mesa Boogie Mark 2/3 and Marshall's JCM 800, while the post 1987 X-100 B's were Carvin' answer to the Mesa Boggie Mark 5 and Marshall's JCM 900.
    Those Active Tone Controls and Active 5 band Eq was the deciding factors in tone shaping.

The clean channel on pre 1986 X-100 B, was more Fender like, post 1987's clean channel could get 1960's Vox sounding

Leave a comment:

• YukonGreg
    replied
    Ah, the poor man's Marshall! I love the old fuzzy model with EL34s and pushed with an SD-1 or Rat. Awesome clean channel as well.

Leave a comment:

• Securb
    replied
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    How does the XLR line out sound on those?
    I have only used it once for home recording, and it was noisier than expected. I think it was designed with live applications in mind. I use the Marshall for live and the Marshall/VOX combo for studio, so I do not need to check it out again. I use the Carvn at the practice space because of the amazing flexibility in the tone-shaping I can easily use it with all three bands

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    How does the XLR line out sound on those?

Leave a comment:

• Securb
    replied
    Originally posted by NotDemanic View Post

Not EL-84, EL-34.

Leave a comment:

• NotDemanic
    replied
    Originally posted by maug2122 View Post
    Please correct me if I have been miss informed.
    From what I was told the pre 1987 Carvin's used only 6L6 power tubes, but from 1987 to the closing of Carvin's amp division in 2017, they has a switch so you could use 6L6 or EL 84 power tubes .
    Not EL-84, EL-34.

Leave a comment:

• Securb
    replied
    Not sure of the year but yes I have the switch mine is a Series IV

Leave a comment:

• maug2122
    replied
    Please correct me if I have been miss informed.
    From what I was told the pre 1987 Carvin's used only 6L6 power tubes, but from 1987 to the closing of Carvin's amp division in 2017, they has a switch so you could use 6L6 or EL 84 power tubes .

Leave a comment:

• Securb
    replied
    Originally posted by Ascension View Post

That series IV am has a lot more gain on tap than a JCM 800. Those are downright brutal amps if you crank the gain and eq them right
    I have to agree out of the gate, the X100B has a huge amount of gain, and then, if needed, the internal boost can be engaged to push it over the top. Mine has more gain than my JCM 2000.

Leave a comment:

• Ascension
    replied
    Originally posted by maug2122 View Post
    I have a 1986 Carvin X-100 B, got it brand new back in the day (1986 ) .

It doesn't have the drive of JCM 800, but put a good distortion thru the front input, it will out do a JCM 800 and it has Fender Cleans on the clean channel.
    The effects loop is buffered and with the 5 band graphic Eq, you can easily get a Marshall or Mesa Boogie sound .

Good choice and enjoy the amp
    That series IV am has a lot more gain on tap than a JCM 800. Those are downright brutal amps if you crank the gain and eq them right

Leave a comment:

• Ascension
    replied
    That's not a 80's amp. That's the series IV reissue that was built up into the teens when the family split happened and the guitar side became Kiesel. Those are absolutely wicked amps! I own a 1991Series III X 50 B Hot Rod Mod amp now and have owned many Carvin amps.

Leave a comment:

• NotDemanic
    replied
    Originally posted by Securb View Post
    I get a bit of noise when I hit the preamp with effects. I think it might be new tube time, which begs the question: Should I go 6L6 or EL34?
    KT-77.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X