No announcement yet.

Amp regrets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a JTM 45 that turned out to be a 1965 (birth year) in 9 out of 10 condition and sold it for £100 when you could barely give them away. More recently I sold a white limited edition reissue of a small box 50 watter along with a purple Hendrix re-issue 4 x 12. Then in a moment of madness I let a mate have my surf green lizard Fender Pro Sonic 2 x 10 combo. The last regret was a Cornford Hellcat head…. So regrets I’ve had a few as they say……

Comment

I owned a couple of Olivers back in the early 70s that I wish I'd hung on to.

One was a really cool oddball, a Powerflex 500 with two Altec 15"s. The head was mounted inside the top of the cab and motorized. It would rise up when turned on and sink back down when turned off. It also had a cool spacey looking plexiglass panel that lit up green when it was on. Great sounding 65W all-tube amp that I sold when I got my first SVT; I was playing primarily bass at the time and the SVT had loads more power.

Another was a 35W Oliver 1x15 combo amp, the B120. Originally designed with bass in mind but underpowered, it made a good guitar amp. I used it for cleans with a big band, then later sold it in favor of a MusicMan. The B120 had really good tone controls, almost like having a graphic: regular B-M-T plus ultra low and ultra high bands. For a while Berklee had these in all the practice rooms.

The other one I regret parting with was a Marshall, an early-JCM800 2x12 50W combo that sounded just phenomenal. Marshalls had become somewhat more consistent by the 80s IMO, but every once in awhile you'd still encounter one that was exceptionally alive and responsive and sweet sounding. I think that still holds true even today - some just have extra mojo compared to the rest. This was one of those amps, and I knew it. But when I closed my studio I had to lighten the load; no room in my tiny apartment and couldn't afford storage space. I'd pretty much bankrupted myself trying to keep the business going and needed money badly at the time.

So I sold the best Marshall I've ever owned - and a nice blackface Bassman too - along with a bunch of studio gear, and some other stuff that I don't miss much. I have several good blackface amps again by now, but in thirty years I haven't found another Marshall that compares to the JCM I let go. Wish I been able to keep it.
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I don't think I've ever sold an amp. The few I 'let go' were not functioning/damaged/not worth it when they were tossed.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
          I don't think I've ever sold an amp. The few I 'let go' were not functioning/damaged/not worth it when they were tossed.
          I would've fixed them if they were mine.

Comment

Originally posted by d1dsj View Post
            Had a JTM 45 that turned out to be a 1965 (birth year) in 9 out of 10 condition and sold it for £100 when you could barely give them away.
            Oh man, the pain.

Comment

thats a bummer alright. guys a generation older than me tell stories of bowling with 60's fenders in the back of a music store back in the day cause they we so cheap and have so many of em. DOH!

Comment

I had a Peavey Bandit 112S that sounded remarkably good. I sold it to a forum brother (RIP).

I don’t know that I really regret it, because I never play through an amp anymore. Yet that amp was one of those unexpected gems. Nothing special about the make/model, yet it sang.
                Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
                Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

I have three:

Marshall 1987x 50w head modded by David Bray
                  Voodoo modded Peavey JSX 120 head

and my first real head I bought used in the early '80s for $350
                  which was a JMP Mk II Master Series 50 watt

It was sad to realize that as much as I loved them I simply had no possibility of using them anymore, it's all smaller heads or combos for me now and there are so many awesome 15-20w heads. I still really want a Studio Jubilee
                  Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
                  Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
                  Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
                  Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

I would've fixed them if they were mine.
                    You would fix a Crate GT80?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

You would fix a Crate GT80?
                      Yes.

Because I can.

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                        I had a DSL50 A Fender super Sonic 22
                        an or15
                        A Princeton 68 custom

I really miss all of them now! They were each great at something. The or15 is easiest to replace.

Probably not as heavy as op's regrets but

I think about it when I play my bugera. I'm keenly aware that it is just ok.
                        That’s a nice selection of amps you’ve played! How did you end up with the Bugera?

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

Yes.

Because I can.
                          Well, to me it was a $150 hunk of crap. I used it for a year or so, it got me through some gigs at the time. But I wouldn't waste 15 minutes investigating what's wrong with it. To each his own.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post

That’s a nice selection of amps you’ve played! How did you end up with the Bugera?
                            the dsl I had probably ten years ago. Sold it cuz at the time I moved to an apartment.
                            the or15 I sold when a roommate left me with that apartment lease
                            The super Sonic and Princeton I got after I started to recover from that but
                            I took some time off during COVID to realign my still kinda low paying career path and dipped a bit hard into my savings causing me to sell them. after all I'm no professional just a hobbyist.

The used bugera was 220$ shipped. It has been surprisingly decent so I've been wanting to try to see if it can't last a while cuz while it is not so great sounding it's really not bad. Clean channel with big muff sounds pretty crushing in a small room lol. It's the vintage 22 combo and I put an eminence attenuating speaker in it cuz I've had that speaker for like ten years as well.
                            I had been looking at 5w tube amps but was like...I don't always play doom but when I do it needs to be more bone crushing than 5w. And the v22 clean channel is pretty clean and so stuff like big muffs and rats are all good. The guy admitted he didn't charge enough for shipping but there was a tube dead on arrival so we called it good.

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post

the dsl I had probably ten years ago. Sold it cuz at the time I moved to an apartment.
                              the or15 I sold when a roommate left me with that apartment lease
                              The super Sonic and Princeton I got after I started to recover from that but
                              I took some time off during COVID to realign my still kinda low paying career path and dipped a bit hard into my savings causing me to sell them. after all I'm no professional just a hobbyist.

The used bugera was 220$ shipped. It has been surprisingly decent so I've been wanting to try to see if it can't last a while cuz while it is not so great sounding it's really not bad. Clean channel with big muff sounds pretty crushing in a small room lol. It's the vintage 22 combo and I put an eminence attenuating speaker in it cuz I've had that speaker for like ten years as well.
                              I had been looking at 5w tube amps but was like...I don't always play doom but when I do it needs to be more bone crushing than 5w. And the v22 clean channel is pretty clean and so stuff like big muffs and rats are all good. The guy admitted he didn't charge enough for shipping but there was a tube dead on arrival so we called it good.
                              That makes sense. I’ve never played a 22 but it sounds like it punches above its weight. I really hope things get back on track for you so you can rebuild your tasteful amp collection.

Comment

I once had a fantastic Epiphone SS practice amp with a fantastic clean sound.
                                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                                X