Amp regrets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blille View Post

That makes sense. I’ve never played a 22 but it sounds like it punches above its weight. I really hope things get back on track for you so you can rebuild your tasteful amp collection.
    THANKS! The v22 is a bargain if you are not expecting Marshall or Mesa tone quality. The tone stack is bf fender and it has 4 gain stages on the gain channel so it can kinda rip with a pedal on the dirty side too. But the open back 112 format is not great for chugging I'll admit

Comment

Amp regrets… I remember when I was 15 and borrowed my uncle’s Acoustic Control 125 over the summer. He wanted it back (I assumed to jam or whatever), but instead gave it to his brother in law. Brother in law never played it, just sat in a garage. (Probably still rotting away in the garage)

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post

That’s a nice selection of amps you’ve played! How did you end up with the Bugera?
        Good question.

Comment

I miss my ‘80s Rivera-era Fender Champ II. It was a hand-wired 18 watt 1 by 10” combo. Simple controls with a great distortion sound if you pulled the mid-boost (on the treble control, as I recall) and turned it up a bit. I sold it to make a couple child support payment when I was between jobs one time. No regrets on that part of it, but I grew up playing that amp, and do miss it. Prices are stupid high for them, though. But, it was the perfect bedroom/living room amp.

Comment

I wish that I still had my 80 watt Ross 1x12 SS combo. Let a buddy borrow it and it got ripped off from his practice space.
            That amp sounded fantastic clean or dirty.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Opposite situation: Amp I regretted buying was the Fender Vibro-King. I know if you look up posts about them you'll hear things like, "best amp ever made", "desert island amp" etc. I disagree. I bought it because I got a great deal on a floor model that the dealer needed gone. Figured it was the Cadillac of Fender amps, right? Ugh. It was obscenely heavy (same weight as a Twin Reverb). It's also loud. And it's unreliable. The tremolo is prone to "ticking" noises which I never got fully ironed out. I had the power transformer fail. And in that process of repair I found out that all the parts in their "hand wired" expensive amp are Chinese made import components.

And on top of that, even though I got a deal on it in the first place (almost 50% off retail) I STILL lost money when I sold it because NO ONE WANTS BIG HEAVY LOUD COMBOS ANYMORE. I wish I'd never have bought that amp.
              -
              My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Getting rid of my Rik RG 80 and buying this Orange

Comment

Getting rid of my Marshall mini stack, not the micro. This one was about thigh high stacked.

Comment

I had a little Epiphone practice amp in the 90s that sounded really good for its small size. Apparently, they weren't popular, as I have never found another.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Not that I have a place to use any of these now, but...

Soldano HR50+
                      small box 50W JCM 800 in British green tolex
                      a couple metal panel Superleads (sold one to Audley Freed for $350 when CoL was recording their first album)
                      rack with a Kasha Rockmod II running through a Replifex and Intellifex out through a MosValve 962 (stereo gloriosity, probably my favorite tones ever)

There were more including a Mesa Mark V, Fender Prosonic, early JCM900, Yamadano combo, original silver face Champ, the list goes on...

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
                        Getting rid of my Marshall mini stack, not the micro. This one was about thigh high stacked.
                        I had a microstack in white. Got opening it up and found some sexy time letter a girl had written to the previous young lad
                        1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                        Jackson Soloist 7 string
                        ESP LTD M-400
                        Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post

I had a microstack in white. Got opening it up and found some sexy time letter a girl had written to the previous young lad
                          That's what gave it some extra mojo

No big regrets. Only a silly Cube 80GX. An overdrive and eq pedal infront, and you could get awesome tones and LOUD. It had punch for days.
                          1x12 but in a small cab. Would've loved to hear it in a bigger cab with a "hotter" speaker.
                          That would've been awesome. Sold it stock for peanuts when times were toight, as usual with gear.
                          The biggest difference between Chet Atkins and Dimebag? Probably the beard...

Comment

Framus Cobra and a Blue Voodoo 300

Comment

I do have another amp that does the job (like a hot rodded SS 5150 with very sculptable tone l, very rare, never selling) but the Randall Rh200g2 halfstack served me well for the longest time but it was just going unused with the flagship Marshall and Mesa I got after.
                              The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

One in particular. The one off 100 watt Fender Prosonic head with Reverb I bought from Brad Whitford. Got crossed with a local political group and they tried to destroy us financially. Had to sell off a bunch of gear that can never be replaced to survive. That one still hurts but at least I saved our house. Bruce Zinky signed my Blue Velvet I bought later which was cool so.
                                Recorded all the guitar tracks here with her and my Washburn MG 102.
                                Last edited by Ascension; 09-04-2022, 06:26 AM.
                                Guitars
                                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
                                X