So you think you can solder ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you think you can solder ...

1958 Training film for the Space Program.

clean metal surface and no air, ready to accept solder. i always bring my own iron too, apparently that isnt the right way

Comment

That was great

Comment

That’s nothing. They have never suffered a tight tele cavity with a megaswitch and three mini switches.

NASA pffft. Amateurs.

Comment

"Mac will never go back to TV work."

Despite 'above and beyond' soldering, it's worth noting from time to time NASA's stuff blows up too. "No one can tell you why this happens..."

"It's too much science to be called art. Too much art to be called science."

Was a good informative film, nevertheless. I will work cleaner from now on.

Comment

That was awesome, my buddy in Nashville's first job out of the service was soldering and solid stating components in the various Space Capsules for McDonnell Douglas or Grumman -I forget which.

I've got to send this to him.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Interesting that they were using 63/37 solder back then.
              I'd assumed was an improved modern formulation.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                Interesting that they were using 63/37 solder back then.
                I'd assumed was an improved modern formulation.
                I suspect 63/37 is more durable and better meets vibration and thermal requirements for Air/Spacecraft with regards to what would be modern ISO type standards.

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

When I was living in northern CA in the 90’s, I worked with a lady who was former military, and I think she did some work with NASA, and she was part of engineering doing solder work. When I worked with her she was doing PCB work on some automated door controllers and showed me some soldering techniques that I still try to use today. I had been doing soldering since I was 16 but knew I could do better.

Comment

Working...
                  X