Marshall DSL40CR Ordered!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall DSL40CR Ordered!!!

I just placed my order with proaudiostar for my Marshall DSL40CR. I got a good deal from them, I saved $186 off of the final retail price! This is going to be my first tube amp. Does anyone have any advice or tips I should know regarding the tubes or proper operation or anything else that you wish you knew when you got your first tube amp? Specifically I would like to know what Fries your amp and how not to fry your amp. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by Mikelamury; 04-21-2022, 06:22 AM.
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
    Nicely done, sir! What kinds of tones are you going for? I am always curious to see how people use the more general-purpose, do-it-all kinds of Marshalls.
    I mostly play punk rock. Some ska/punk and classic rock but mostly 90's punk.
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post

I mostly play punk rock. Some ska/punk and classic rock but mostly 90's punk.
      Marshalls will certainly work for those.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

The DSL does a great JCM 900 tone ala Vinnie Stigma

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post
          I just placed my order with proaudiostar for my Marshall DSL40CR. I got a good deal from them, I saved $186 off of the final retail price! This is going to be my first tube amp. Does anyone have any advice or tips I should know regarding the tubes or proper operation or anything else that you wish you knew when you got your first tube amp? Specifically I would like to know what Fries your amp and how not to fry your amp. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
          Very nice, you'll like it. Get it biased correctly, it has external bias points, between 32-40mv is recommended, Marshall suggest 35mv as a good compromise between tone and power tube life. Make sure the output switch is set to High, NOT Low, when biasing it. Other than that:
          - It can sound piercing depending on guitar, position, settings etc. I found I can get a very juicy crunchy sound if I up the presence and roll back the treble. Maybe start with all eq, Presence and Resonance dials at 12 o'clock and go from there.
          - Balancing the channels volume will be fun But there are 2 master volumes which can be assigned for each of the 4 channels. I'm using MV1 for green clean and MV2 for the other 3
          - Tubescreamer as clean boost (can get boomy with my settings at low volume) and an EQ in the loop for even more fun. At high volume it doesn't need any OD pedal to tighten it up, can even bump the treble a notch and I have to dial the gain back a bit.
          Enjoy
          Last edited by AdrianSD; 04-22-2022, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianSD View Post

Very nice, you'll like it. Get it biased correctly, it has external bias points, between 32-40mv is recommended, Marshall suggest 35mv as a good compromise between tone and power tube life. Make sure the output switch is set to High, NOT Low, when biasing it. Other than that:
            Do you actually find any noticeable change in tone with different bias points? If so how many mV up/ down before the tone starts to improve or deteriorate? Not this particular Marshall but generally speaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post

Do you actually find any noticeable change in tone with different bias points? If so how many mV up/ down before the tone starts to improve or deteriorate? Not this particular Marshall but generally speaking.
              Not really, especially since I'm playing with a lot of gain and there's enough room to juggle with the EQ, presence, resonance and the volumes to take the tone where I want. Keep it around 35-36mv, good enough for chugging.

Comment

Great amp clean or dirty, with/without pedals in either channel.

Nothing special to do - just play it.

Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

You don't need to "bias" your own "brand new" amp.
                  What's going to "fry" your amp is if you start messing with it.
                  Plug in, play & be happy.
                  Last edited by JMP/HBE; 04-24-2022, 04:10 AM.

Comment

yeah, it should be biased fine from the factory. plug and rock!

Comment

Working...
                    X