No announcement yet.

“Best” aka your favorite Lunchbox Amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “Best” aka your favorite Lunchbox Amps?

What are some of your favorite ~15W lunchbox amps for use with a single 12” speaker? Let me know how you are using it (pedals, straight in), types of tones and why you like them.

I’m looking for a smaller amp I can jam at home with, easily take to a drummerless jam, etc. I like my Princeton Reverb, I’m thinking something similar in size/power but with higher gain and a more hot rodded Marshall voicing.

If you hate them or whatever, no need to comment.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

My Jet City Picovalve. Only 5 watts, switchable to 2. It can use any octal base tube without needing biasing.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Just saw a thread by misterwizzy where he's selling a Jet City 20 watt head. You should check it out.

Comment

Right now if I was buying it would probably be the dsl20w, mainly because I don't own a marshall and the fact it does have el34s.

Comment

Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister 40 Deluxe.
          Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

PRS MT-15

Pound for pound the best high gain and clean tones in one amp for the price.

It can get loud, takes pedals like a champ but doesn't need them to sound good.

Beautiful cleans to heavy brutz and anything in between.
            The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

As much as I love my little Yammy THR 10's, (lunchbox size), I can't beat my H&K Edition Blue 60, with a Celestion 12", for tone. A guitar needs a 12" speaker.

Comment

I have a Peavey Classic 20. It is switchable for 5-10-20 watts. It is feature full and sounds wonderful. I can get great high gain tones without the use of pedals. Don't let the tweed fool you the amp rips and has plenty of grind.

Comment

The Marshall Studio Classic head still pretty much slaughters every other small/low wattage amp I've ever tried.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon

Bruce, I’m afraid I just can’t handle the cognitive dissonance here. I need an amp to look how it sounds. Unless there is a drive pedal in the mix.
                    I love showing up with a Tele (w/ a SD), a tweed head and cab and ripping metal through it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical View Post
                      The Marshall Studio Classic head still pretty much slaughters every other small/low wattage amp I've ever tried.
                      Seems like that one is about 20dB too loud as well. But it does look awesome.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Someone please buy mrwhizzy's Jet City head before Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                          Someone please buy mrwhizzy's Jet City head before Friday.

I think it belongs in Arizona!
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

Seems like that one is about 20dB too loud as well. But it does look awesome.
                            5 watt mode is manageable. The 20 watt mode is... loud.

Comment

Probably my 30W Cicognani Brutus Live...

Harmonically rich lead tones that are ever so sweet! Incredibly touch sensitive and can go from great crunch/plexi to awesome high gain w/o a boost..

It's this guy's "signature" amp made by Cicognani. Apparently he runs a popular guitar academy in italy...

Your's truly w/ a Mooer Ge300 "tone capture" preset I made with my own amp (first two solo's)

I'd say my 15W Chinese Goldea Rex & 30W Laboga The Beast plus see at least as much use and they both sound awesome too though the Brutus Live wins for sheer versatility

EDIT: Here's another Brutus clip I recorded (thrash/speed metal rhythm) on the "Lead 2" (hi gain channel-all 3 switched Presence/EQ modes). It's just the raw/unprocessed mono track..

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 04-27-2022, 07:32 PM.
                              "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                              If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X