banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marshall DSL40CR- pedals in loop or in front?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall DSL40CR- pedals in loop or in front?

Im wandering about which (if any) pedals should go in the effects loop and or in to the input on the amp. I obviously plan on putting a delay and chorus (possibly a boost) in the effects loop. The boost would be for leads and solos only. But if I ran through the screamer and tuner going into the amp to push it would that be advisable or what would you guys with more experience suggest? I really appreciate all the help with the new amp I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything detrimental to my tone or the amp and get settled with this thing.
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Tuner can go in the loop too but better to put it out front as it'll be seeing the signal right from the guitar. Overdrive/distortions, compressors, even a phaser, I like in the front. Chorus, delay, reverb, flanger, stuff like that can go in the effects loop.

Using a tube screamer or other overdrive is a very common way to push the amp to more saturation. But don't oversaturate to the point of uncontrollable feedback. Find the the comfortable setting that works for you that you can control. Too much saturation can get out of control real quick.

Start with few and add as you need. Get familiar with the amp first and go from there. You may find you really need less than you think you do.
    Last edited by ErikH; 04-25-2022, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Effects loop is not intended for foot pedals. It's for rack gear.

Comment

That depends on the amp. Most Marshall effects loops take pedals just fine, in my experience.

Comment

Comment

Generally everything can go in front. Reverb can get really messy in front so that usually goes in the loop. A lot of people like the cleaner tone of delay in the loop. Chorus, Flanger and other time based are up to your preference. Wah, Phaser and Univibe are also up to preference but general opinion is that all go in front.

My suggestion is to start from scratch with nothing anywhere. Get your clean and gain tones, then start adding pedals one at a time going gain -> delay/reverb -> modulation and going from most used to least used. Get your OD setup well. Then add your boost. Then any other “specialty gain” pedals like Fuzz. Then add your reverb, make sure it’s good in your loop. Then add delay in all possible positions to see what you like. Then add each modulation pedal, trying each slot and in combo with the rest of the pedals. Each time you add a pedal, get it dialed in with the rest and understand what each can do in combination.

Thats a lot more in depth than a straight forward “this is the order” but at the end you know your rig and why you’ve made your choices.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post
              Im wandering about which (if any) pedals should go in the effects loop and or in to the input on the amp. I obviously plan on putting a delay and chorus (possibly a boost) in the effects loop. The boost would be for leads and solos only. But if I ran through the screamer and tuner going into the amp to push it would that be advisable or what would you guys with more experience suggest? I really appreciate all the help with the new amp I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything detrimental to my tone or the amp and get settled with this thing.
              IDK know noisy the amp is, but if you are playing with alot of gain, a noise suppressor pedal is a great idea. They can be in front, in the loop, or both! The boss ns-2 and its behringer clone can be run in an "X" wiring pattern that senses the guitar input to decide when to gate, but the gate is in the loop so it can quiet any noise pedals there too.

Noise suppressor is best pedal ever designed.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
                Effects loop is not intended for foot pedals. It's for rack gear.
                not true

time based like reverb / delay and modulation like Chorus / Flange [except Phasers] in the loop.
                Dirt pedals, EQ, Gates and Phase 90's in the front.
                DSL's have okay loops for either rack or pedals but i don't know anyone that runs rack gear w/a combo amp.
                -10 db = pedals
                +4 db = rack
                Last edited by JMP/HBE; 04-25-2022, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

IDK know noisy the amp is, but if you are playing with alot of gain, a noise suppressor pedal is a great idea. They can be in front, in the loop, or both! The boss ns-2 and its behringer clone can be run in an "X" wiring pattern that senses the guitar input to decide when to gate, but the gate is in the loop so it can quiet any noise pedals there too.

Noise suppressor is best pedal ever designed.
                  I've got a donner soph gate coming in the mail today! If I need it I'll put that in the loop for noise. Thanks.
                  It's funny how some stories became historic,
                  especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
                  But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

+1 to all of the helpful suggestions here.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post

I've got a donner soph gate coming in the mail today! If I need it I'll put that in the loop for noise. Thanks.
                      If given the choice, I prefer to put it after the guitar in front of the amp. It usually tracks the guitar better. This is why some of the pedals can be run in "X" configuration. Both in front and in the loop.

If the pedal has a good buffer, or its positioned after a pedal with a good buffer, then it won't affect the tone.

You will figure it out. Enjoy!

Edit: Just checked and that donner is an NS-2 clone. You can run in front, in loop, or both.

Comment

Id put the gate last pedal in chain going into the front of amp [input].

Comment

Working...
                        X