Marshall DSL20HR Treble Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall DSL20HR Treble Control

I just got a used DSL20HR and turning the treble knob all the way to the left (counter clockwise) seems to boost the mids and bass.

Has my DSL20HR been modified?

I used to own a brand new DSL100H and I cannot recall the treble knob doing that. I own a few other marshalls and all the treble knobs are a simple boost/cut of the high frequencies. They don't affect the mids and bass at all.

I also noticed the DSL20HR's presence knob is more interactive than my other marshalls, i.e., it affects the BMT controls, way more than I'm used to. I'm not complaining about this though. But it makes me turn the presence control at noon or more when I usually set it at zero (with my other marshalls)

Sent from my SM-M315F using Tapatalk

I have a dsl 20 combo, which I also bought used, and have had a similar experience. It seems to take a while longer to dial in a good tone and is a good reminder to adjust controls by ear vs site. Anyways enjoy your new amp!

Comment

I'm not familiar with the tone stack used in these amps, but guitar tone stacks are often weird and interactive. This is definitely the case with Fenders, HiWatts, and the Vox amps I've played.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

yeah, im not familiar with how this tone stack is configured but, like stv said, many are very interactive. turning the treble all the way down could absolutely give the impression of more mids and bass. a typical presence control works with the negative feedback loop in the power section, but there is no law that says it has to have anything to do with that so could be anything

Comment

Rectifiers are the same way. When you reduce treble it allows more mids and bass through the stack. Most good tube amps do not have active tone stacks. The tone pots are like a line of specific-frequency attenuators.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            yeah, im not familiar with how this tone stack is configured but, like stv said, many are very interactive. turning the treble all the way down could absolutely give the impression of more mids and bass. a typical presence control works with the negative feedback loop in the power section, but there is no law that says it has to have anything to do with that so could be anything
            This one is different though... the volume boost is so great it's basically like having a pedal through the fx loop.

It starts between 9 and 10 o'clock.

I actually kinda like it because I like middy amps. I just think it's weird and I cannot help but think that was probably not by design.

Comment

How do you like the amp otherwise. It is on my shortlist for something Marshall-y without going OTT

My Bands -
              https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                How do you like the amp otherwise. It is on my shortlist for something Marshall-y without going OTT
                It is a marshall and is very close to the JCM2000. Although the latter, depending on the cab, sounded more "organic" and thick.

I miss the "crunch" mode in the DSL100H, but the HR does remove the "fizziness" associated with these newer DSLs.

I'm very pleased that you wont lose the low end when you switch to the 10-watt mode, unlike the Orange terror series where its tone changes when you switch to 7-watts and you lose a lot of low end.

I also agree with Ola in that the bass response isn't quite there with the JCM2000 DSL and DSL100H. But for my taste, I really don't see why I need that much bass. The DSL20HR has plenty of bass.

I've plugged it into a 1960A with V30 x G12T-75 and 1x12 DIY mahogany cab with G12-65 and it sounds great!

Also, as mentioned earlier, it's EQ + presence + resonance controls are much more "integrated" than all other marshalls I've tried and had. The BMT reacts greatly to the presence and resonance control. My other marshalls, the BMT are pretty much independent with everything else.

Last edited by fretburner; 05-08-2022, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fretburner View Post
                  I own a few other marshalls and all the treble knobs are a simple boost/cut of the high frequencies. They don't affect the mids and bass at all.
                  I guarantee you that this isn't correct, unless you own some of the weirder Marshalls (i.e., things such as the Silver Jubilee that aren't based on a 1959/1987/Super Bass/2203/2204). The standard Marshall tone stack has the treble knob doing all sorts of things to lots of frequencies -- as you turn it up it scoops the mids but also moves the mid-range focus more to the low mids. Google "Duncan Tone Stack Calculator" if you want to see exactly what it does to the frequency response.

Comment

Working...
                  X