banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's build the best amplifier you will ever play...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My biggest challenge when designing this particular amp was trying to be original. I mention in another thread that my design is closest in topology to a JMP Lite IIb. I came to my design organically and genuinely, but as I started looking at other potential ideas I came across the JMP Lite IIb... Which bummed me out. I have several different things going on in my design that I feel keeps it far enough away from litigation, but the fact remains that even while trying hard to be original, there is someone out there that has already done it more than likely. My starting point when I embarked was to make the amp be a Dr. Z Mazz 18-NR. My intention was to modify that topology. I was instantly not happy with it though. I tried perhaps 15 other topologies ranging from JCM-800 preamp to Bogner Ecstacy inspired ideas. All of them were just meh, and didn't do what I wanted. I finally said forget about preamp and focus on just getting the guitar signal to the output and see how that sounds. When I did a single triode directly into the PI with no EQ, nothing, it was AHA!!!! I got the clean sound I wanted. One thing that stuck out to me was the way a parallel triode worked and sounded. So I did that and again was happy. I played with plate and cathode values until I got the spank and gain I wanted, and then started going from there. When I went to dime the amp in order to see what it would do, yet again it was a surprise and with minimal amounts of tweaking, I was able to finally get an amp that would do a true clean, and go all the way to mean.

The amp you hear in the sound sample has probably over 50 hours of run time on it. I finished the build several months ago and I play it every few days, and I play it in several different ways from bedroom quiet to fully dimed. The goal is to find the weak link in the design. I can't get it to break, and it just sounds great no matter what I do. The power tubes still look new, no resistors look burned, I check the bias every now and then and there is no appreciable shift, and it hasn't skipped a beat! This amp is ready for me to build a headshell and send it to market. My prototype build, which I still have, is also still going strong with probably over 100 hours on it ( it is over two years old now ), and like this build, it has its thing that it does differently. It has no issues and it tells me every day to build another and another!!! The reason that this last build has not been sent to market yet is that there is another evolution in it that I wanted to be certain was not going to be an issue, call it a V2, if you will. I have another amp design on my bench that I need to 100% complete, as the prototype is done, but I have a couple of tweaks to make before I call it market-ready. This video series is not helping speed that up though... Anyway, stay tuned, more is coming.

Intro:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 4:

Sound Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F6y...ew?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Ewizard; 05-24-2022, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Loving this thread -I think an interesting challenge with building new amps be it from scratch and especially from a kit (I've done both many times) is often they sound a little sterile versus the amp style they are inspired from, sometimes with some playing and age the amps settle in, so I'm sure some of the mojo from our favorite amps is some time and heat cycles on the components -and then nostalgia messing with your empirical mind. -since Ive done blind A/B tests when recording amps -I know that the sterility of new amps is not just an emotional attachment thing.

When I first started working in recording studios, Peavey was most often the brand that you could often demonstrate "sterility" in an amp sound -maybe it is the components, the design, or the revolutionary manufacturing process -or maybe they were making a more on the noes or efficient amp which creates less nuance that the ear sounds pleasurable.
      Probably why all the metal guitarists liked them.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
        Probably why all the metal guitarists liked them.

Well, I was more referring pre 5150/6505 amps -like 80s -but even so it's a good point -Metal is probably the genre that would prefer less classic color in their tone.

and of course this comment and your comment are referring to actual metal -not hair pop metal and glam pop metal -those genres doubled down on just gaining up classic amp tones.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Well, I was more referring pre 5150/6505 amps -like 80s -but even so it's a good point -Metal is probably the genre that would prefer less classic color in their tone.

and of course this comment and your comment are referring to actual metal -not hair pop metal and glam pop metal -those genres doubled down on just gaining up classic amp tones.
          Loved a few of the hair bands; Slaughter, Poison, Warrant etc.
          But underground metal has always pursued a more acerbic scooped tone. Even someone like Mustaine, who had mids, didn't really have mids.

Comment

Ome more videos have been posted if you are interested in checking them out. I am up to part 6 now? The latest videos show more about designing the layout and where to get your parts from.

Comment

Part 1
              Part 2
              Part 4

…did I miss something?

Comment

If I were to dream up a perfect amp for me, I would build one with 3 channels that are switchable. First channel would be a Fender blackface channel that can be switched from blackface to tweed on the face of the amp. Second channel would be a Plexi channel that is switchable from plexiglass to JCM. The third channel would be a Dumble circuit that is switchable between two of Dumble's best circuits, so in essence, it would be an amp with nine voices.

Now, how to do that.....that's a whole new episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffblue View Post
                  If I were to dream up a perfect amp for me, I would build one with 3 channels that are switchable. First channel would be a Fender blackface channel that can be switched from blackface to tweed on the face of the amp. Second channel would be a Plexi channel that is switchable from plexiglass to JCM. The third channel would be a Dumble circuit that is switchable between two of Dumble's best circuits, so in essence, it would be an amp with nine voices.

Now, how to do that.....that's a whole new episode.
                  The closest I know -Theres an boutique amp company in Florida (name escapes me right now) that makes something in this vein -except Fender Blackface and Plexi 2 channel 1x12 open back combo -getting Dumble requires messing with the tone stack on the Black face channel -and you can get decently close -but you cant easily switch between then of course.

Nice amp for studio/recording especially

-expensive as you might imagine. -I think it was mid 2ks.
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

The closest I know -Theres an boutique amp company in Florida (name escapes me right now) that makes something in this vein -except Fender Blackface and Plexi 2 channel 1x12 open back combo -getting Dumble requires messing with the tone stack on the Black face channel -and you can get decently close -but you cant easily switch between then of course.

Nice amp for studio/recording especially

-expensive as you might imagine. -I think it was mid 2ks.
                    It's not exactly the same, but the Mesa Mark V comes really close to that description.

Power tubes are going to be a compromise because Fender tones don't sound quite right with EL-34s while Marshalls sound kind of off with 6L6s; I say that after having played a JCM800 circuit with 6L6s and a Mesa preamp with an EL-34 power amp. Of the two the 6L6/JCM800 sounded less 'off', hence my recommendation for the Mark V.
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post

It's not exactly the same, but the Mesa Mark V comes really close to that description.

Power tubes are going to be a compromise because Fender tones don't sound quite right with EL-34s while Marshalls sound kind of off with 6L6s; I say that after having played a JCM800 circuit with 6L6s and a Mesa preamp with an EL-34 power amp. Of the two the 6L6/JCM800 sounded less 'off', hence my recommendation for the Mark V.
                      Uh, good point -I have a MkV and I totally agree. -I have an Origin Revival drive in the FX loop can make a dead on Plexi channel, also can make Dumble with the MkV graphic eq (cant really make a good Dumble on a non graphic amp without a pedal)

So yeah!!

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                        Part 1
                        Part 2
                        Part 4

…did I miss something?
                        I missed adding the link in the repost on the second page. The OP has all links.

The dream amp idea with Fender, Marshall, and Dumble could be done, but it would be ungodly expensive! Having a variant for each channel might also have to get nixed, only because you would need a switching system that changes a dozen things out all at once. Could still be done, but when the switching system starts to get more complicated than the signal circuit, you have to start putting your hand up to at least question your sanity. I think the biggest problem would be, as already mentioned, is the compromise that you end up with each topology. The power supply for each amp is quite different, so you would have to pick one that will work for all of them, and the voltage and stiffness of each HT supply is part of what makes each amp tick. Mesa is a prime example of a company that tries to include everything and the kitchen sink into their designs, it's all good until something breaks, and then fixing it becomes a tech's worst nightmare. The other downside is there is never three or four AMAZING sounds in the amp, but more that out of the three-four tonal options it has, 1 or two are great and the others are just ok.

I am beginning to work on a new design with what is known as dual path. In short, each amp channel has 100% of its own tube circuitry, and neither shares any parts. This ensures that each channel is tuned for zero compromises over the other. The downside is extra power supply considerations, switching and a higher parts count.

In my latest video I go over pretty quickly how to acquire the parts for the amp I am showcasing. In all, there are about 75 individual parts or so needed to build the amp. After shipping and taxes, you are looking at about $600 for the amp using the parts I would go with. You could probably lop $100 or more off if you go with other options? The point is that when you double the parts count and time to build said amp, the cost starts getting bonkers. I charge $550 per day just In labor to build an amp. Most amps that are turn-key can be built in a day or two. Considering a cost of $1000 plus just in parts, and another couple hundred for tooling, utility costs, and a profit margin, you are easily sitting on a $3,000+ amp. If you buy a Ceriatone amp in the 100-watt range unfinished, you are looking at around $750 just for parts not including tubes, or the cabinet ( about another $300-$400 to acquire ) no shipping, and no taxes factored. After shipping and tax, you are easily sitting nearer $1k. You buy a set of basic tubes for $150 and get a cheap cabinet for $250, now you're right around $1,250 or so. Let's say you can't build the amp so you pay for a guy to do it, that could range from my price or more to half that. So another $500 on the low end ( most amps will take more than 1 day to build of that size ) to as much as $1,000. Your kit amp is now more expensive than just buying a real one.

This is why I created this series, to try and help you find the confidence to build it yourself. All those dangerous voltages they scare you with don't exist when you are building the amp. So as long as you build it right, you have little to worry about. Biasing and other troubleshooting items are easy to teach and there are a plethora of videos on the web to help you. It's just money in the end, but I feel that in the past few years there has been a higher interest from people to build their own stuff. Why is this? To save money and gain a skill I feel. I have that skill, although I lack the ability to present it very interestingly, and hope that I can help get you to build the best amp in the world.

The title of the series is obviously very tongue in cheek. While the series showcases my amp, it is not limited to that. I am just showing you how to read a schematic, make a layout, source the parts and build whatever your heart desires. My amp just happens to be what I am using to do it. I think my biggest flaw is lack of interesting commentary and B-roll shots, trying to present as much data as I can in as short a video as possible, and simply that while I may know what I mean, I have a tough time conveying it in words on a recording. I can write about stuff clearly and with articulation all day, but I hate my voice and my inflection, I trip over my words, and the thoughts pour out faster than I can say them with certainty. Basically, I'm boring to listen to.

Comment

More Videos are being added! The next one will be stuffing the turret board!

Comment

Loving this thread -I think an interesting challenge with building new amps be it from scratch and especially from a kit (I've done both many times) is often they sound a little sterile versus the amp style they are inspired from, sometimes with some playing and age the amps settle in, so I'm sure some of the mojo from our favorite amps is some time and heat cycles on the components -and then nostalgia messing with your empirical mind. -since Ive done blind A/B tests when recording amps -I know that the sterility of new amps is not just an emotional attachment thing.

When I first started working in recording studios, Peavey was most often the brand that you could often demonstrate "sterility" in an amp sound -maybe it is the components, the design, or the revolutionary manufacturing process -or maybe they were making a more on the noes or efficient amp which creates less nuance that the ear sounds pleasurable.
                            Oh come on EZ. . . You need to use tone wood

Comment

I agree... no scientific proof here, but it does seem a freshly built amp does sound a little "sterile".

I did almost a 100% overhaul of my Marshall up back in 2003... it's now 2022 and it sounds fantastic. Granted the circuit has changed from '66 JTM45 to '68 Plexi, but it did seem a little sterile after I had replaced the stock PCB with my populated turret board, swapped out stock OT, wired everything up, etc and fired it up the first time.

Totally; there's gotta be some settling in and values drifting...

Back in the day Peavey was the tone-deaf cheap man's amp. It did one thing well though: it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post

Oh come on EZ. . . You need to use tone wood
                                He shoulda made his amp shell out of MDF or styrofoam or concrete.

Comment

Working...
                                X