banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's build the best amplifier you will ever play...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LLL View Post

I agree... no scientific proof here, but it does seem a freshly built amp does sound a little "sterile".

I did almost a 100% overhaul of my Marshall up back in 2003... it's now 2022 and it sounds fantastic. Granted the circuit has changed from '66 JTM45 to '68 Plexi, but it did seem a little sterile after I had replaced the stock PCB with my populated turret board, swapped out stock OT, wired everything up, etc and fired it up the first time.

Totally; there's gotta be some settling in and values drifting...

Back in the day Peavey was the tone-deaf cheap man's amp. It did one thing well though: it worked.
    Peaveys are indestructable, but lacked dat mojo back in the day...

Classic 30 twin was the first amp by them where I was like "man, thats got it's own thing..."

Bass stuff was always great.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Some more content has been added to both my YT channel and of course to this project series. I am at Part 8 and an 8.1 is soon to follow. I also have a video on my channel on how to build a turret press.

Comment

We have some real lift-off! I just uploaded Part 8.1 where we build the turret board. The next video will be stuffing it with components! Since I started this series I have gained about 20 subscribers to my YT channel, which is crazy to me. In either case, stay tuned, there is more to come.

Comment

Comment

Well, we have entered orbit!!!! The latest video, Part 8.2 is updated in the OP and we have completed the Turret board and mounting of all the components. In the next video, we attack the chassis and start mounting off-board components! Stay Tuned

Comment

I have another video out that more or less just gives you an idea of options and thoughts on different parts of what makes an amp tic. Send in some more pics of your builds if you get em!

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                That crock pot really ties the room together

Thats a beautiful rig I'd say.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Just an update! I am in the middle of finishing hopefully one of the last three videos of this build series. This segment is probably the longest and most finicky part of the whole build and with work and the tedious nature of this part of the build, it is proving to be a slow process to document.

Things to look forward to in the next video:

1. Cutting and drilling of the chassis.
                  2. Installing of the power transformer.
                  3. Wiring the power transformer, power switch, pilot light, and heater wires.
                  4. Doing the " headphone trick " to find the optimal output transformer placement.
                  5. Installing the transformer and turret board.
                  6. Wiring the turret board

The following segment will contain final checks and powering on, as well as biasing and getting voltages!

The final segment will hopefully be a playthrough and final tweaks! Sans any issues or challenges with getting any parts to achieve my goals, we should have this series wrapped up in about 10 to 11 videos. I will post a 12th video that has the whole series collected into one, but that one may be annotated and cut short to keep it from being too long?

Anyway, just a heads up and to let you know this series isn't dead, just held up because I have been too busy with work and we are in a very particular part of the build.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

That crock pot really ties the room together

Thats a beautiful rig I'd say.

The Boogie is gone, i live it loud you can ask anybody but that MK I was SCARY loud.
                    Im a Marshall guy anyway. Im down to 2 100 watt Marshalls.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

The Boogie is gone, i live it loud you can ask anybody but that MK I was SCARY loud.
                      Im a Marshall guy anyway. Im down to 2 100 watt Marshalls.
                      Im down to 3 Marshalls -3 100Ws, 2203, 2210, 4501

But I really want my 2204 back with 6550s.

Comment

The last few videos have been posted in the OP!!! The amp is done and working! I have yet to do a sound demo and biasing video, but am exploring options and testing out different things first to try and make the follow-up video a little more engaging and interesting as opposed to me just postulating and explaining things.

Comment

ALRIGHT!!!!! Part 10 is now out! This will be the last installment to this build series as we now have the amp working and biased. I will do another series on the finishing touches and fixes to the shortcomings of the amp. Thanks so much and keep posting your builds.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                            If I were to get in to building an amp myself, it would be in the vein of about 30 watts, a Marshall JMP single-channel style circuit, but with 2 master volumes that I can switch between - one for rhythm and one for lead. A simple one button footswitch. I've got so much other stuff going on that this is just an idea. But, I do like learning more about amps and circuitry.
                            This is probably my idea of what I’d like to build as well with the exception of having a clean channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewizard View Post
                              That amp is way too pretty and organized to have any mojo...

....I kid I kid.

Nice job. Great vids - Sounds like a nice classic British amp monster to me.

Comment

Great sounding simple amp with kt66..
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X