Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey 6505 Mini Head

Does anyone have this 20 watt amp? How do you like it? Does it sound like it's big brother?

Click image for larger version

Name:	6505PlusMiniH-large.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	6173892 Click image for larger version

Name:	750-6505PlusMiniH_detail2.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	6173893

I've got one and had a 6505+ as well,

I am flat out impressed. IMHO, it's every bit a 6505!

if I had to nit pick, the big brother has a bit more headspace and a touch, just a touch more low end.
    Other than these small differences.... this little guy absolutely rips!
    https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Thrash_Metal View Post
      I've got one and had a 6505+ as well,

I am flat out impressed. IMHO, it's every bit a 6505!

if I had to nit pick, the big brother has a bit more headspace and a touch, just a touch more low end.
      Other than these small differences.... this little guy absolutely rips!
      That's awesome. I figured it would sound just as good. As for the low end I think my Marshall 2×12 will have that covered with this mini head. I'm going to pull the trigger on it. Glad it has reverb too. I should have it Saturday

Comment

Congrats! You're going to love it.
        Last edited by 80's_Thrash_Metal; 05-17-2022, 10:10 PM.

Comment

I don't have the 6505 I have the Classic 20 mini head. It has the same back panel features. They are feature full little amps and very loud. If the 6505 is built anything like the C20 you are going to be a very happy person.

Comment

Yep looking forward to it. I have played through a 6505+ but it's been years. Kinda odd the big brother don't include reverb like the MH. Good thing this amp includes the footswitch, too. Been a long time since I have owned a tube amp and this one is pretty affordable compared to others.

Comment

Technically it should be able to bring all the gain of 6505. All 3 of the 12AX7's, so all 6 triodes, are in the preamp. That is the same number as the 6505.

Peavey likely changes the tone shaping circuits in the 6505 MH, since the power tubes are EL84, instead of the 6505 6L6. The MH should still have plenty of thump with a closed back cab.

I have the ValveKing 20 MH, and not only does it have the thump on my 112, it can compete with my JSX or Triple XXX on my 412.
              I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

I just recorded this for Sharts and Gargles...

It's the 6505mh thru a marshall cab with Manowars and K100s.
                It's got loads of low end.

Truth is, the 6505 has more gain than you can really use, I run this at about half gain.

Anyhow, here's a flavor.

Comment

Truth is, the 6505 has more gain than you can really use, I run this at about half gain.

Anyhow, here's a flavor.
                  Sounded great!

Plenty of thump!

I am with you in that, I have never needed the levels of gain the 5150/6505 can bring. Always been able to get by with my Triple XXX. But not being critical as I know there are players out there who use more gain than me. The 6505 is a little fuller/thicker in the lows and mids than my Triple XXX, but I still have not needed that enough to buy a real 6505 - yet.
                  I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Anyhow, here's a flavor.
                    That sounds good. The gain half way up? Wow. That's a lot of gain. Have you tried a Tube Screamer with those settings?

Comment

Originally posted by UnderTheFlame83 View Post

That sounds good. The gain half way up? Wow. That's a lot of gain. Have you tried a Tube Screamer with those settings?

Yes, I've always got a ts or clone up front to tighten things up.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post

Sounded great!

Plenty of thump!

I am with you in that, I have never needed the levels of gain the 5150/6505 can bring. Always been able to get by with my Triple XXX. But not being critical as I know there are players out there who use more gain than me. The 6505 is a little fuller/thicker in the lows and mids than my Triple XXX, but I still have not needed that enough to buy a real 6505 - yet.
                        Yes, and in my opinion, there is an immense amount of gain in these amps. And the XXX can be at times, fizzy or buzzy even, the jsx can be a professional cleaned up version and a bit meatier, but the 6505 just rips faces off. It does one thing very well.
                        ...my favorite video explanation is from fluff where he calls the 6505 a drunken college kid or something. It's hilarious...

Comment

It's going to be interesting to compare this to my other Peavey.

Comment

Working...
                          X