HomeBrew Electronics - BigD ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HomeBrew Electronics - BigD ?

Well the thread title just about says it.

Any of You guys familiriar with the HBE Big D Od/Distortion pedal?

Tried it in my local shop the other day and I must say it sounded pretty good. It probably takes some time to learn to use it properly as it´s got so many options how to shape the sound though.

So, if You have/are otherwise familiar with this pedal I´d apprecciate Your comments very much. At 250 euros it´s not something I want to be disappointed with after buying it..

Re: HomeBrew Electronics - BigD ?

I tried a HBE Big D in June while I was in New York with TO.

I was using it as a stand alone Overdrive, and it did sound good. I found it to be a little too bright for my tastes though, so I didn't buy it.

TO has 1 and absolutely loves it, so I'm sure he'll see this thread and reply

Comment

Originally posted by Brow
      I was using it as a stand alone Overdrive, and it did sound good. I found it to be a little too bright for my tastes though, so I didn't buy it.

Thanks for Your opinion! I appreciate any comments on the pedal, as I feel the reviews in HarmonyCentral are somewhat biased when it comes to higher-end pedals such as this one..

So please keep ´em coming if You´re familiar with this pedal!

EDIT: Typo..

Comment

I've tried one for about an hour in a store. I love it, and would like to buy one eventually for my crunch tone. They're so flexible, and just sound great.
        Asteroids do not concern me.

Comment

I currently own 3 HBE pedals, and will be getting 2 more. The 3 I own are the Big D OD/distortion pedal, the Dos Mos boost/buffer pedal and the CPR compressor pedal.

There's a detailed thread around here somewhere with my full review on the pedal, but I will tell you that it's the best OD/distortion pedal I have ever owned!

Is there anything specific you would like to know about it?

Link to my review:

Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I can't find Part 2 of the review, unfortunately!

Here's a clip I made using the Big D, however. You may find this useful:

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
              Is there anything specific you would like to know about it?
              Please recommend me some sample settings for it? It´s probably best if I´ll haul my a** down to the local store and try it out once again, as it´s pretty hard to ask anything specific about the tone.. But some settings You like would be nice to know, as the pedal´s got so many options how to use it. It would make the test run easier.

But the review was really helpful, thanks a lot for it!

Oh and how does it cut through the mix in a live situation? I´ve found that many of the more ´open´ dist./OD pedals tend to get lost in the mix when playing live. How´s the BigD when used live? And have You used it with a small (about 40w) amp? My main amp is a Groove Tubes Soul-o 45 (2xel34, open back 1x12 combo) so I was just wondering how it would sound with a smaller/cleaner setup.

Comment

Originally posted by foo3001
                Please recommend me some sample settings for it?
                I can do better than that. If you would like, I can make some clips for you this weekend of all 5 diode settings, hard and soft clipping, etc etc. Just let me know if you'd like that!

the review was really helpful, thanks a lot for it!
                You're welcome!

Oh and how does it cut through the mix in a live situation?
                My singer calls my half of the stage 'the wall of sound' or 'the brick of tone', lol
                Needless to say, I have NO issues cutting through the mix!!

Comment

Oh, before I forget. What country are you in, foo3001?

I've noticed more people in Europe like the Big D, and in America they prefer the Power Screamer.

Comment

Hello again,

well it would be really, really, really great to hear the pedal. I mean, You probably know the pedal very well and what it´s capable of. The clips in the HBE website were a bit disappointing.. They sound good but there´s just a few with no mention of the settings used etc.. So if it´s not too much of a trouble it would be really great to hear what the pedal has to offer. I know this is a lot to ask, You´re doing me a HUGE favour.

I´m in Europe, and the circle of guitarists I´m involved with the Power Screamer is quite popular. It´s a great pedal but I already have a Fulltone FDII, VoodooLab SparkleDrive, Boss OD1, OD3, SD1 and BD2 so my tubescreamer-esque needs are well covered.. What I´m looking for is a pedal with more gain and a slightly different character. I already have a CarlMartin Plexitone (hey thanks again Rid!) and I´m looking for something a bit similar to that one. That´s a great pedal too but I´m always up to trying something new (I believe that´s what they call GAS ) Plus I need a high-gain pedal for my second pedalboard..

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Oh, with all those pedals, then you DEFINITELY could use the Big D for something different!!

Comment

I have a Big D. It's a JCM in a pedal! My favorite setting is all knobs 12:00, soft clip.

I own a lot of HBE stuff - I also have two Germanias, two UFOs, a Medicine Bawl, and a Germacide. Best sounding, best built pedals I own. You can't go wrong!
                        Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins

Comment

Oh, with all those pedals, then you DEFINITELY could use the Big D for something different!!

Yep!

Not to mention the Keeley Rat, Marshall JackHammer, Marshall DriveMaster and the EH BigMuff.. I´ve always bought pedals I´ve found interesting/thought I might need one/gotten them cheap. So I´ve ended up with quite a lot.

Right now I´m using the FDII and the Plexitone. Those are my favourites ever. Both are very good pedals and having both on my pedalboard guarantees I´ll manage with any amp I come across with. Some amps take the other very well while the other doesn´t work at all and vice versa.

Comment

foo3001, just an update:

I didn't forget about you!

I will be making those clips for you this weekend.

Comment

foo3001, just an update:

I didn't forget about you!

I will be making those clips for you this weekend.

Thank you so much!

You´re a huge help!

Comment

Working...
                              X