Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour’s signature on my 64 Fender?

Hey there!
    First time posting, but because of a specific question. I have a 1964 Bandmaster that I bought a couple of years ago, and upon pulling out the chassis, I found a Seymour Duncan signature (maybe?) on the OT.
    I think the transformer dates from the 80s. Anyone know anything at all, or any reason for this? Thanks!

Edit; it says I’ve posted twice, not once. I probably had a few and forgot.
    Last edited by ARC; 06-15-2022, 02:09 PM.

Does MJ do the transformer rewinds these days?

Comment

Umm. That’s not a signature, as in cursive. Definitely not Seymour’s.

Comment

My guess is they might have pulled the transformer out of one of Seymour's convertable amps he was making/selling back in the day.

Comment

(Salty edit erase!)

Did the convertible amps come with an 80s Fender OT? The code leads me to believe that’s what it is, unless I got that wrong. No idea about the convertible amps.
          Last edited by ARC; 06-20-2022, 09:24 AM.

Comment

You can see an actual Seymour signature here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	seymour-duncan-antiquity-humbucker-bridge-35377.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	6179849

I have no idea where the transformer came from...but it sounds like a cool mystery. Maybe send a message to SD directly? They might just forward it to him or ask what it could be.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ARC View Post
              [USER="5061"]Did the convertible amps come with an 80s Fender OT? The code leads me to believe that’s what it is, unless I got that wrong. No idea about the convertible amps.
              Looking at the schematics, the Fenders have 4, 8 and 16ohm output taps, the Duncan only has 4 and 8ohm. And the PT has 5 taps on the Duncan and 7 on the Fender Bandmaster, but without knowing the model/part number that's not really definitively telling much. It's a mystery. Only other thing I could think of is if Seymour actually rewound a transformer, but I don't think that was ever his gig (unless he took it on as a one-off chore while working on the Convertibles?)

Comment

Originally posted by ARC View Post
                ErikH Dang, sorry I used the wrong word, but you’re right. Next time, before I post, I’ll send you the comment so you can just DM me the snide comment.

Did the convertible amps come with an 80s Fender OT? The code leads me to believe that’s what it is, unless I got that wrong. No idea about the convertible amps.
                Didn't intend for it to come off as snide. My apologies.

Comment

i doubt seymour rewound a tranny. what are the codes on it?

Comment

ErikH it’s okay. I just don’t need to post anything for at least two hours after I get home from a grumpy work day.

Here’s the OT numbers. 018343 EIA606-715. It also is stamped “FENDER” right above the number.

Comment

Googling those OT numbers brought up this post on TGP from 2 years ago about the same thing. Is that your post?

So i bought a 64 Bandmaster, and I opened it up tonight. To my surprise, it's mostly original! The date code showed the 31st week which is the same dates as when I got it, and today when I opened it up. Pretty cool. I turned it around and found the transformer has a piece of tape with Seymour...

Comment

Yeah, I think that’s around the time when I gave up looking the first time. Cool, I had forgotten about that.

Comment

Looks like a service repair label for that transformer not a signature.

Maybe Seymour had some work done on it.
                          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                            Looks like a service repair label for that transformer not a signature.

Maybe Seymour had some work done on it.
                            Exactly what I was thinking it could have been Seymour's old amp or more likely a testing amp from The Seymour Duncan Company that was sent out to be fixed. Either way, it is a cool amp no matter where it came from.

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I like the service repair answer.

Comment

Working...
                              X