Marshall Jackhammer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall Jackhammer

so do any of you guys who have a Jackhamer actually use the distortion on it or do you all just use it for overdrive.

How does the distortion part sound on it?

Comment

Originally posted by wixomwhat
      so do any of you guys who have a Jackhamer actually use the distortion on it or do you all just use it for overdrive.

I only use the overdriven side as it's the side that sounds like a Marshall to me...The other side of the pedal sounds kinda like a Dual Rectifier tone...Darker,alot of gain,and buzzy like angry mosquitoes....It works as a cool singing lead tone,but articulate chords get too lost in the mix on that side..
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I don't know if someone's said this before in this thread, but the jackhammer has a third setting, sort of. You can get the overdrive/distortion knob sorta stuck in the middle between the two settings, and you get a sound with a slightly different character.

Comment

I own a JH, Shredmaster and Guv'nor.

JH OD mode: Heavy, Crunchy, Open, Smooth distortion sound
          JH Dist mode: REALLY HEAVY, compressed, piercing highs

Shredmaster: Heavy, Crunchy, Open, Smooth distortion sound -- the BEST distortion i've ever heard from a stompbox!!!

Guv'nor: Not too heavy, trebly

I'm now giving my 7-year old Shredmaster a little break and uses my JH on OD mode as my main distortion. I'll try to use the Guv'nor as an OD after it. And yes, I don't like the Guv'nor as a distortion that much.

I'll post pictures maybe later.

Comment

So looks like the Jackhammer outrulez the Guv'nor
            Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
            Gibson 1959 reissue
            Gibson 1960 reissue
            Gibson EDS-1275

Freedom through the blood of Christ

Comment

I've only played around with a Jackhammer a few times, so I've not really used it enough to form an opinion of it.

The only other experience I have with it is when I was teching for the auditions of a big local show. 1 of the bands that was auditioning was using a Jackhammer and I've got to say, it sounded absolutely awful to me This could be down the the way the guy had it set, or how he actually plays the guitar. Who knows?

I'm also a big fan of having lots of options, so my pedalboard is mostly made up of Overdrives and Booster pedals that I use with my various amps for lots of different tones.

Comment

same here. I would like afew pedals for my effects. Perhaps afew OD, compressor, boosters, delay, a wah and a chorus.
                Thats about it.
                Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
                Gibson 1959 reissue
                Gibson 1960 reissue
                Gibson EDS-1275

Freedom through the blood of Christ

Comment

Originally posted by Brow
                  I've only played around with a Jackhammer a few times, so I've not really used it enough to form an opinion of it.

The only other experience I have with it is when I was teching for the auditions of a big local show. 1 of the bands that was auditioning was using a Jackhammer and I've got to say, it sounded absolutely awful to me This could be down the the way the guy had it set, or how he actually plays the guitar. Who knows?

I'm also a big fan of having lots of options, so my pedalboard is mostly made up of Overdrives and Booster pedals that I use with my various amps for lots of different tones.
                  That's weird because I've been using my JH ever since it came out and it's bone stock? It takes a bit of knowing how to dial it in,but I have mine set where I found it's sweet spot and I just leave it there...I only use the overdrive side of the pedal(The more Marshall sounding side)
                  Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                    I only use the overdriven side as it's the side that sounds like a Marshall to me...The other side of the pedal sounds kinda like a Dual Rectifier tone...Darker,alot of gain,and buzzy like angry mosquitoes....It works as a cool singing lead tone,but articulate chords get too lost in the mix on that side..

this probably isnt the pedal for me then. I hate Mesa's.

Comment

this probably isnt the pedal for me then. I hate Mesa's.
                      LOL....I sold a Tremoverb head because it was always way too angry bees in the preamp,too dark,and too loose for my tastes...I'm pretty much a Fender, Old Marshall,Vox guy.

Comment

Yeah... when you say that a JH "OD" setting gives you "marshall" sounds, do you mean old style marshall? Cos I'm considering one, but I'm looking for more JCM900 / 2000 type sounds...

PS - 1500!!!!! WOOHHOOO!!!
                        Colossians 1:15

Originally posted by Gr8Scott
                        I absolutely have no doubt that Aceman has a glitter covered pony head on a stick that he occasionally saddles and rides around his office in full aceman regalia screaming like a cowboy on a meth binge just because the mood strikes him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbojsr
                          Yeah... when you say that a JH "OD" setting gives you "marshall" sounds, do you mean old style marshall? Cos I'm considering one, but I'm looking for more JCM900 / 2000 type sounds...

PS - 1500!!!!! WOOHHOOO!!!
                          Kinda reminds me of the JCM 800/JTM 2000 series the way I have mine set,but maybe with a bit more gain? It has alot of adjustment for the highs,mids,lows,and a cool contour adjustment that changes the whole eq of the pedal...This contour knob is the key to getting great tone from this pedal...
                          Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 01-06-2006, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                            This contour knob is the key to getting great tone from this pedal...

I actually use the contour knob to scoop some of the bass to coax more mids out of it.

Comment

Iiiiiiinnnnnnteresting... cheers man! I want something that does "the marshall thing", but the only thing I have is my MG15... and it's not the best... nothing on the v-amp really seems to get it, so hopefully a pedal can get me a bit closer!
                              Colossians 1:15

Originally posted by Gr8Scott
                              I absolutely have no doubt that Aceman has a glitter covered pony head on a stick that he occasionally saddles and rides around his office in full aceman regalia screaming like a cowboy on a meth binge just because the mood strikes him.

Comment

Working...
                              X