banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Those Who Don't Embrace New Tech (iR vs Mic'd Speakers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I listened to the video through a pair of expensive reference monitors but have not watched the reveal.

I think the real cab is first and switches around 1:54.

Reason, the paper sound rattling is audible in the begining but not later.... however the real conclusion in my mind is either is totally usable for a record.

Ok, going to listen to the reveal..***fingers crossed***
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
      And the answer isssss:

Well, ****ty titties -I got it wrong.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Most interesting, the IR gets that papery speaker texture nailed -which is super cool.

Comment

I thought for sure it started with the cab cause I liked it best. I definitely heard the first change but lost track after that, since they are so similar. Makes me want to use a real amp with an IR for my next recording.

Comment

I don't think anyone would get it correct; not even Eric Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

"Imma nail this, I know all of them dead giveaways"

Just breaking yer ballz, you're a stand up guy, I respect that a lot. You could've just said "oh I knew it right away, how can you not hear it its so obvious".

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post

"Imma nail this, I know all of them dead giveaways"

Just breaking yer ballz, you're a stand up guy, I respect that a lot. You could've just said "oh I knew it right away, how can you not hear it its so obvious".
                Thanks man, knowledge is power! I would say Im above average on A/B blind tests but not this time at all!

Comment

Nothing really wrong with the technology but when you do amp reviews on youtube with many different amps and every demo sounds the same i have a hard time taking that person seriously especially the guy in the first post.
                  To me every one of his demo's sound identical.
                  You should give viewers different options with different cabs and move some air.
                  I would never do the IR thing myself.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

Nothing really wrong with the technology but when you do amp reviews on youtube with many different amps and every demo sounds the same i have a hard time taking that person seriously especially the guy in the first post.
                    You should give viewers different options with different cabs and move some air.
                    I fully agree with the youtube demos statement. I've learnt it the hard way. Bought into the hype of a certain pedal. Everybody was raving about it, every guy made it sound good, except for one guy. In his video the thing sounded.like sg I wouldn't be interested in. Not bad, just not my thing. So pulled the trigger thinking "everybody else cannot be wrong/lying".Turns out that guy was the only who didn't lie/made TONS of post adjustments to make it sound different than what it actually was.

If you get the chance, give the IR thing a go though.

Comment

No IC chip is gonna sound like 4 late 70's Celestions getting spanked.

Comment

To me, Ola Englund sounds the same on all of his amp demos.

Comment

Its true. Everything he records sounds the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

Its true. Everything he records sounds the same.
                            Im guessing because his generation doesn't really know any different.
                            in 1970 we were taught to memorize our home address & phone number in grade school i still remember it yet i have 150 numbers in my Iphone 12 and don't even know my wife's number.
                            Last edited by JMP/HBE; 06-26-2022, 03:01 PM.

Comment

No IC chip is gonna sound like 4 late 70's Celestions getting spanked.
                              Isn't that an apples to oranges comparison? One is designed to sit in a mix, the other is live (yours).

Funny you did Black Sabbath's Voodoo!

I'd been fiddling with Iommi's 80's tone... love that tune (and others from Heaven And Hell & The Mob Rules)

Comment

This is an example of live sound using iRs in my rig (piped to two 1x12s)... I believe these were EV12 L iRs for this patch.

(Our drummer is a beast and hits really hard, so he's the louder one here)

Comment

Working...
                                X