banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Those Who Don't Embrace New Tech (iR vs Mic'd Speakers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
    I really couldn't hear a difference. I think it certainly helps that the IR was created through the exact same mic/cab setup the 'live' take was done with. Proves IRs can sound exactly like the source.

Now it's just a question of: is there an IR out there that you like, that sounds like you want?

It would have been more interesting to me to have the mic backed off the cab to get more of the room sound, and make an IR with that, to see if the room 'air' was also being correctly captured, not just the cab itself.
    The "DynIRs" that the TwoNotes Torpedo line uses is capable of just that: ou can load an IR and actually move the "mic".

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post

Looking forward to it, seriously!
      I love doing this stuff, Im at 45k feet above Arkansas river right now. be home tonight!

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

I love doing this stuff, Im at 45k feet above Arkansas river right now. be home tonight!
        Can a human even hear 45kHz?

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
          IRs make a great (indistinguishable?) copy of the real thing.

I suspect that the main reason to go with a tube amp these days is repairability. I've happily used tube amps that were 60 years old and still doing their thing perfectly. It's unusual for me to use software that is even just twenty years old, and modern hardware to run the IRs certainly doesn't seem to be built to last.
          That is deep statement right there. You get your sim/IR etc all set up, just like a righteous Marshall from the 80's, and a vintage analog delay or whatever.

In 15 years - will that hardware, with your tone-o-the-gods even be functional? Because that 80's Marshall and pedal will be....
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

Can a human even hear 45kHz?
            IF you had a normal hearing range that went to 24k (highly unlikely, and likely not for anyone over 12 years old, even if you originally did), you might be able to detect the sub harmonic from 45k at 23.5k.

For all practical purpose - lets go with no.

Remember when CD's came out, and they had a harshness to some people? They ran at a 22k sampling rate. It was audible to some, but not most. At 44k, only dogs could tell, and the very very very rare individual.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

IF you had a normal hearing range that went to 24k (highly unlikely, and likely not for anyone over 12 years old, even if you originally did), you might be able to detect the sub harmonic from 45k at 23.5k.

For all practical purpose - lets go with no.

Remember when CD's came out, and they had a harshness to some people? They ran at a 22k sampling rate. It was audible to some, but not most. At 44k, only dogs could tell, and the very very very rare individual.
              He was making a joke there Ace,...
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

He was making a joke there Ace,...
                Yep - I was asking... for my dog.

Comment

And the answer isssss:

Comment

Sweet! I got like 1.5 of the timestamps right! LOL!

I wish they had done a little longer version with more styles included, but I bet I still couldn't tell 98% of the time, ha ha!

Oh, and I was listening through my new Kali LP-6 V.2 monitors, for anyone who cares. Incredible monitors for the price, by the way!

Comment

Ok, back in the studio. will give this a go!

Comment

Ok, back in the studio. will give this a go!
                        So? Whar's yer take?

Comment

Don't view the spoiler video. No cheatin'

Comment

I really couldn't hear a difference. I think it certainly helps that the IR was created through the exact same mic/cab setup the 'live' take was done with. Proves IRs can sound exactly like the source.

Now it's just a question of: is there an IR out there that you like, that sounds like you want?
                            Nailed it. I would hope that the IR created with that rig, sounds exactly like that rig being played. That's no different than the Kemper profile of my Road King sounding just like my Road King in the same room.

Comment

Well, it confirmed my suspicion. The IR and the direct recording were the same. I.E The mic and other settings were never changed once the IR was made. This is an obvious way to confirm that the IR is in fact doing its job.

So now that sound may never ever be able to be replicated again with the live rig. What I will say as a live sound engineer is that it is a great thing the same sound can never be replicated. It is captured ONCE and only ONCE. That moment is either the best it ever could be, or it was not. There are no redo's, no second takes, and no chance to fix it. It has to be right from the beginning. My biggest issue with studio recording was that I could always just go back and try again to do better. I was always in a constant fight with myself to keep perfecting things. When I went to live sound, I only got one chance to get it right and I could never go back to change the outcome I got. That was bliss for me, as there was no longer any torment about how I can make the past better, only that I need to do better in the future on my next gig!!! Turned into a career for me, so I guess I did something right!.

Comment

Don't view the spoiler video. No cheatin'
                                Quick question. can I do this test watching the video -or do I need to cover my eyes while watching and they give me generic identifiers or indications like Sample #1 Sample #2 etc

Comment

Working...
                                X