Fender Twin Reverb II (Rivera era)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Twin Reverb II (Rivera era)

Anybody else using this amp? What does it do well for you? What won’t it do (well)?

It has all of the Twin DNA but because of the era they tried to put some gain in the amp. There is also a presence control. Great cleans, awesome reverb, and decent gain. Like all Twins, they are fantastic pedal platforms. For a while, no one wanted to touch these amps you could find them cheap. All of a sudden they became a "collectible" amp because it was Kurt Cobain's preferred studio amp. They are great sounding amps if you can find a good deal grab one. However, I personally would not pay collector's prices for one.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
      It has all of the Twin DNA but because of the era they tried to put some gain in the amp. There is also a presence control. Great cleans, awesome reverb, and decent gain. Like all Twins, they are fantastic pedal platforms. For a while, no one wanted to touch these amps you could find them cheap. All of a sudden they became a "collectible" amp because it was Kurt Cobain's preferred studio amp. They are great sounding amps if you can find a good deal grab one. However, I personally would not pay collector's prices for one.
      I got mine used for $650-with new power tubes, bias, and tech once-over included. I thought that was fair. My amp was a back line rental, but it’s in pretty good shape.

Comment

I grew up playing a Champ II from the same era. It was an 18 watt 6v6 1 by 10 combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Frater106 View Post

I got mine used for $650-with new power tubes, bias, and tech once-over included. I thought that was fair. My amp was a back line rental, but it’s in pretty good shape.
          That is a steal they are going for $900+ these days. They take to boost very well, I would also check it out with some classic ground-to-diode distortion, MXR D+, DOD 250 or an old Tan ROSS Distortion if you can find one at a good price. With the right stomp those amps do metal and hard rock really nice.

Comment

That is a steal they are going for $900+ these days. They take to boost very well, I would also check it out with some classic ground-to-diode distortion, MXR D+, DOD 250 or an old Tan ROSS Distortion if you can find one at a good price. With the right stomp those amps do metal and hard rock really nice.
            Glad to hear it! I’m using a Boss DS-1, and a Tube Screamer after to tighten up and EQ the sound. I also have a MXR Super Badass Distortion that I’m looking forward to trying. I’ve also got an Earthquaker Devices Hoof fuzz I want to try with it.

Comment

i had a red knob twin which is similar in some ways. big, loud, and heavy. those rivera amps are pretty sweet all around though

Comment

I am having trouble getting a distorted/breakup tone at lower volumes-even with a pedal or two. You have to have the guitar volume high enough to drive the pedal and then you’re too loud on the amp. I need to mess around with the second channel some more though. Maybe that will do it.

Comment

The master volume is your friend.

Comment

I've used both a Twin II and Deluxe II, and both were exceptional amps with excellent cleans ideal for any gain pedals.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think I need another Little Black Amp Box from JHS. It’s basically a passive volume control you can run in the effects loop. It allows you to drive your pedals and pre-amp tubes hotter while taming the signal sent to your power section. I had one before, but stupidly sold it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        I've used both a Twin II and Deluxe II, and both were exceptional amps with excellent cleans ideal for any gain pedals.
                        Honestly, I would do an even trade (my Twin II for a Deluxe II). I would prefer the lower wattage and only one speaker. I was happy to find and buy the Twin, however.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                          i had a red knob twin which is similar in some ways. big, loud, and heavy. those rivera amps are pretty sweet all around though
                          The red knob era of Fender is often overlooks and forgotten. A lot of great amps came out of Fender at that time.

Comment

The red knob era of Fender is often overlooks and forgotten. A lot of great amps came out of Fender at that time.
                            Not just overlooked...there is a lot of active hate out there. I don't get it.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Frater106 View Post
                              I am having trouble getting a distorted/breakup tone at lower volumes-even with a pedal or two. You have to have the guitar volume high enough to drive the pedal and then you’re too loud on the amp. I need to mess around with the second channel some more though. Maybe that will do it.
                              Yes, the volume on your guitar should be considered more of a "gain" control than a volume control, if you are looking to lower the output of the amp, the guitar is not the place to do it. If the master is not working for you, maybe put something in the loop to control volume.

Comment

Working...
                              X