Amp Or Not 1 (Poll)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Or Not 1 (Poll)

I'll occasionally throw up a clip and see if you can guess if it's a real amp or software amp.

Every clip will have some kind of production on it (read: studio sauce)... so that means that unlike your typical iPhone or straight SM57 on the speaker cone recording, the low end fat will be trimmed and the tone sculpted (as you would in an actual mix).

I'll eventually reveal the answer.

Amp Or Not 1 (Queensryche - One And Only):

Thanks for your participation - so here's what it was:

UAD (Universal Audio) Friedman HBE plugin (by BRAINWORX) !!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	UAD Friedman HBE.jpg Views:	1 Size:	94.1 KB ID:	6182383
    Real Amp
    62.50%
    Software Amp
    37.50%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by LLL; 06-30-2022, 11:31 AM.

Not playing, because I have long been an objector to amp (or anything else) is the only way to get good sound. And also a long time believer in a lot of things you thought were an amp were not.

Sounds fine to me if you made it using a tin cup with a string running from the pickup. Interested to see how those playing the game will do.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I don't think it matters. If you can make a great sound, that's all that matters. I've used everything from a Marshall SL-X to a Zoom pedal to make the same sounds. There are slight differences in dynamics and tone, but if it's satisfying and good, it doesn't really matter how it was made. That said, there is some personal enjoyment from having a dimed Marshall blow your pant legs while you jam.

Comment

It's hard to tell because I'm listening on my home computer system. (Which is pretty good.) But it isn't live. Sounds good though, either way.

Comment

Not much voting eh? People have strong opinions about sound and products, until they are asked to make a blind determination.... then that passion often subsides for a while.

Be strong! Be Wrong!
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I think its a real amp.

The reason I say this? It sounds like there is a decided "lack of saturation", like it was recorded at practice volume. Or maybe not benefitting from proximity effect. Any amp sim worth its salt would have that fat, cranked, bass boosted sound baked in.

That said, I really like it. If its a sim, I'd like to know which one and how you have it set up. Its not my holy grail tone, but its nice to have different tools.
            Last edited by Top-L; 06-28-2022, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Listened a few times. I'm gonna go on a limb and say it's a real amp/cab. Sounds like a SM-57 right in the middle of the cone.

Comment

Don't forget to vote.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                  Not much voting eh? People have strong opinions about sound and products, until they are asked to make a blind determination.... then that passion often subsides for a while.

Be strong! Be Wrong!
                  Yapping about pizza is far more important on a gear forum, see. You didn't know this is Seymour's Facebook?

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

Yapping about pizza is far more important on a gear forum, see. You didn't know this was Seymour's Facebook?
                    Im not sure why people are worried about being wrong on an internet forum.... I mean, I do a lot of these topics on this forum professionally and still know I'm not going to be right often.

If this stuff was easy or obvious, we wouldn't be discussing it.

F*ck it dudes! give it a guess!
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Im not sure why people are worried about being wrong on an internet forum.... I mean, I do a lot of these topics on this forum professionally and still know I'm not going to be right often.
                      Nah they're not worried, it's because this place has turned into a crypt... you can practically hear the spooky echo bounce-back "hellooo? Bueller? Bueller?" and smell the thousand mouldering skeletons of serious guitarists who left this mortal coil.

Comment

I voted real amp, because the hiss at the end sounds more realistic than anything I can get out of my modellers.
                        I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

I think it's a real amp. Or you did a good job ot processing it to get the punch of a cab and the room air on the mic type of sound. The post-processing makes it hard to be sure.

Comment

Voting real amp, too. Perfectly content with the possibility of being totally wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                              Voting real amp, too. Perfectly content with the possibility of being totally wrong
                              Hell yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X