X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

How could I forget the abuse!

I swear I always was excited and then regretted tuning those up past 30-40%
    In the 80s/90s, if there was an extra space in your rack, a BBE was a prime candidate to fill it up.

I got one, and thankfully I was only enamored with it for about an hour.

Comment

I've never found a setting on a BBE that made the sound better. The only settings I could ever find were "Weird", "DIfferent", "Worse", "Muffled and mutated", and Off. Well, I guess Off was pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

In the 80s/90s, if there was an extra space in your rack, a BBE was a prime candidate to fill it up.

I got one, and thankfully I was only enamored with it for about an hour.
        It was weird, you'd turn it up and up and up and feel like you were getting an incredible new sound, and then a week later after you ears were normal again when you compared it to your unaffected tone, you'd be like "Why the hell am I using this plastic sheeeny thing?"

Most players who used them that I like didnt make them the most obvious part of their sound.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Hey now, it did wonders for the mix in clubs on my 24 channel PA back in the 80s.

And it's been used (judiciously so) on some famous guitar tones too.

Comment

Really? This is coming from a guy who used to throw ."things] not an aircraft engines
            Last edited by JamesPaul; 07-02-2022, 04:48 AM.
            I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
              Hey now, it did wonders for the mix in clubs on my 24 channel PA back in the 80s.

And it's been used (judiciously so) on some famous guitar tones too.
              Why arent they a part you tone now? I don't mind the judicious use of them now, I just never preferred the tone of people smashing their sound with them.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Why arent they a part you tone now? I don't mind the judicious use of them now, I just never preferred the tone of people smashing their sound with them.
                I think Nuno had it on some of those Extreme albums. But I've been able to get similar without.

I do have a plugin for the 422 (IIRC).

I've always considered it something for use in live sound as that is what I used it for traditionally... wasn't til recently that I found out it was actually used on guitar in the 80s-90s.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

I think Nuno had it on some of those Extreme albums. But I've been able to get similar without.

I do have a plugin for the 422 (IIRC).

I've always considered it something for use in live sound as that is what I used it for traditionally... wasn't til recently that I found out it was actually used on guitar in the 80s-90s.
                  Yeah, you could always tell when a club had a BBE and triggers. -Everything sounded polished!

I just don't like them on individual guitar except slightly mixed in -as they make it so sheeny

Comment

EQing (and the BBE definitely affected the EQ of whatever you put it on) is one of the most maddening things in the world sometimes.

Your great sounding EQ at normal listening levels suddenly doesn't sound so great when the tune is cranked up loud, etc...

-or-

"I coulda swore that 3dB extra of 3kHz on the guitar gave it the crunch it needed yesterday... now it sounds like cripsy ****."

etc..

Fletcher and Munson be damned.

Comment

Working...
                    X