Dumb Amp Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb Amp Questions

Ok I have been jamming with one of these little fender front man amps and it is the only amp i have ever owned. Its time to get something decent but alas I don't have much to spend. I want something that has enought punch that if we we get to the point of playing out I can make it loud enought to rock in a bar. I've never played throught a tube amp and don't even know how it would sound (how sad is that). Also I need to be able to get this amp into the back of my n not so big car so it needs to pack punch for its size. I know these requirements are pretty wide opened but frankly I don't even know where to begin...thanks in advance.......

Re: Dumb Amp Questions

What style of music do you play? What's your budget?

Comment

rock using some distortion and delay and i'm also trying to learn some country or rockabilly. my budget is really in the 500 range so im sure its a good ebay deal i will have to search for...I guess I could go above that if it hide it from my wife but only by an few hundred...thanks again...

Comment

It's hard to beat the classics. I think that I would look for and old silverface Fender or a MusicMan combo. They can be had cheap and should give you a great basic tone that can be goosed with pedals.
        Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Comment

The Crate V32 is about 6 bills all tube, or a blues junior would be cool...don't know the price on those.
          Pulse 2AM - YouTube
          Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Laneys are quite cheap (for the combos anyway) maybe VC15/30 or LC15/30
            u could probably get em cheaper secondhand. But a good condition vintage amp (like those suggested above) would be good to
            Gondola Kid
            Bandcamp
            Facebook
            JimijaymesGuitarist
            Youtube

Comment

thanks I looked up a crate v-32 on ebay and its bout 400 but only 30 watts, for playing out should i be looking for more volume?

Comment

No, that would probably be enough. If you needed more you could mike your amp.
                Defender of the Sonic faith.

Gibson SG Faded

Carvin Vintage 16 amp

http://www.lp.org

Comment

get a LC 15!!! Great little amps crank em loud too. Or get a LC30, and replace the 70 W speaker in her with a 30 what, so you can work it harder
                  Lister: I am your god!
                  Cat: ( points at food ) If you're god, turn this into a woman!

Originally posted by Empty Pockets
                  i don't want to shoot at a guy holding my Les Paul, but I'd gladly shoot through a Fernandes that I paid $250 for.

Comment

The Ccrate V32 palomino is pretty damn loud - when you're on stage you just need to hear yourself well and they can mic it for the audience.
                    Those are super cool amps imo for the money.
                    Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                    Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

No offense to the Blues Jr. suggestion, but I bought one from eBay ( probably a dud ) and it was a disaster of an amp. Although I've had some positive experience jamming with 15 Watts, you might think a little bigger for an amp you can grow into ( no you don't need a Marshall stack until U2 invites you to tour Europe with them ). Everyone says you have to have all tube - which is very nice - but can get pricey fast, and might not even be best for some rock. One idea is the Line6 digital amps, which are dirt cheap, and have some reputation for being decent. Since I've never owned one, you might want to read reviews from those that have. Harmony Central has reviews on these and many many others, although some of the reviews are written by nimrod hacks. http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/
                      "If you love them blues, play 'em as you please"
                      -Michael Bloomfield

Comment

No offense takin. I think they're good amps and I don't like Fender amps in general. I just spent a few months trying to find an all tube 15 or 30 watt amp to record with for around 5 bills new - there are not many that made the cut, the Palamino and Blues junior did...
                        Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                        Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Working...
                        X