banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any way to put a Delay in an amp without an FX loop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any way to put a Delay in an amp without an FX loop?

As you add gain on the amp, it's best to decrease the wetness of a delay, so it's a lot more subtle. Although analog delays with a lot of headroom sound the best, I still get a good result with the Line 6 DL-4. I just mix it in very subtle.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

but didnt Van Halen play with the delay and all the effects after the amp??

i will have to see for myself i guess.
      Ibanez Roadstar II
      EBMM AXIS HoneyBurst
      VHT 50/12 Pitbull

Jack Nicholson: It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good.

Comment

so Joneser it will sound good in the front??

you use all your effects in the front?
        Ibanez Roadstar II
        EBMM AXIS HoneyBurst
        VHT 50/12 Pitbull

Jack Nicholson: It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good.

Comment

any other ideas?
          Ibanez Roadstar II
          EBMM AXIS HoneyBurst
          VHT 50/12 Pitbull

Comment

Here's an idea:

1) try the pedal out & if it sucks, don't use it.

2) OR.........listen to the advice already given.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
            Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
            FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
            http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

You can use a delay in front, as long as you play clean or use a OD pedal in front of the delay for dist. Amp distortion and delay is just gonna end up a MESS!
              it depends on what sorta distortion, cleanish crunch can still work with delay in front if u don't have to much bass (listen to U2's early stuff thats 2 memory man's in stereo into 2 cranked vox's) but most distortion doesn't work after delay
              Gondola Kid
              Bandcamp
              Facebook
              JimijaymesGuitarist
              Youtube

Comment

i use a delay in front of my amp and it sounds just fine. give it a shot and tell us how it works out.
                gear:

'05 gibson les paul studio vintage mahogany (DiMarzio Super Distortion/ SD Jazz)
                '04 gibson SG standard (BurstBucker Pro's)
                mesa/boogie 2-channel dual rectifier (with EL34's)
                marshall 1960A 4x12
                and a few pedals

Comment

Putting delay in front of your amp is usually only a problem if your using the preamp of your amp to get a fair amount of distortion. The distortion compresses the signal, and if your delay is in front of it you'll get tons of delay comapred to how much you're getting in your clean channel. I suppose the use of 2 delays, one for clean, one for dirty, would be a solution, though you'd be stomping a lot! A delay pedal with presets like a DL4 or dd-20 might make this easier.

Stealing a path from the reverb tank is a good idea...a tech could add an FX loop for a relatively small amount of dough...

Mike

Comment

this is what i found from amptone http://www.amptone.com/g074.htm

" For clear, professional Tone, echo-derived effects should be mixed in "through the board" -- that is, after the power tubes and guitar speaker. This avoids unmusical muddiness and beats. For the clearest saturation Tone, echo should not be placed before *any* saturation, distortion, or clipping stage, whether clipping occurs in the preamp tubes or power tubes."
                    Ibanez Roadstar II
                    EBMM AXIS HoneyBurst
                    VHT 50/12 Pitbull

Comment

ask to a tecnician to make a path between the pre amp and power amp, so u can put the delay
                      - Cort S-2550
                      - Ibanez Roadstar II RG440
                      - Ibanez Artcore Asf75tbl
                      - Dunlop Crybaby gcb-95
                      - Boss Compressor Sustainer CS-3
                      - Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-7
                      - Danelectro T-bone distortion
                      - Mesa Boogie V-Twin
                      - Boss Super Chorus CH-1
                      - Boss Digital Delay DD-6
                      - Peavey Classic 30

Comment

well said ..

I just pluck in and use. I didn't bother about the FX loop .. =|
                        Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
                        Gibson 1959 reissue
                        Gibson 1960 reissue
                        Gibson EDS-1275

Freedom through the blood of Christ

Comment

Originally posted by tone?
                          this is what i found from amptone http://www.amptone.com/g074.htm

" For clear, professional Tone, echo-derived effects should be mixed in "through the board" -- that is, after the power tubes and guitar speaker. This avoids unmusical muddiness and beats. For the clearest saturation Tone, echo should not be placed before *any* saturation, distortion, or clipping stage, whether clipping occurs in the preamp tubes or power tubes."

As a producer I know there are many ways to get good sounds - so any article that states there is only "one" way to do things is wrong.
                          Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                          Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

As a producer I know there are many ways to get good sounds - so any article that states there is only "one" way to do things is wrong.

i will definately try it out to get it over with
                            Ibanez Roadstar II
                            EBMM AXIS HoneyBurst
                            VHT 50/12 Pitbull

Comment

Go for it.
                              Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                              https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
                              Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Originally posted by tone?
                                but didnt Van Halen play with the delay and all the effects after the amp??
                                Yes, he did. The only things out front where the Phase 90 and maybe an EQ. The Echoplex was after the dummy load (which was after the variac). The Flanger was also in the chain after the dummy load, or between the dummy load and external H&H power amps. By using the dummy load, the Marshall became a pre-amp for the whole rig.

Comment

Working...
                                X