No announcement yet.

FRFR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What level of " FRFR " are you trying to achieve? Are you literally looking only for a 12" speaker replacement that is sort of full range, or are you looking for a full-on PA speaker that is exactly FRFR?

The problem with 12" full range speakers that are NOT coaxial or have a separate compression driver is that they will never truly achieve linear frequency response.

The term FRFR is a Marketing term used to MARKET to guitarists. FRFR is literally nothing more than a PA speaker network placed inside of a normal guitar cab and sold for more money than it is worth. I.E. if you put your QSC K10 in a box that looked like a guitar cabinet, nobody would be the wiser and it would sound like a K10.

Single speakers that try and emulate " full range " ALWAYS have some anomaly that makes their frequency response uneven and weird. Truly coaxial speakers are of course an exception. A coaxial speaker is of course not a single element trying to do the work that 2 or three elements would properly do.

The long and short is that for a little more money, you can buy an ACTUAL speaker that is more linear in response, produces more output, and will sound better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewizard View Post
      What level of " FRFR " are you trying to achieve? Are you literally looking only for a 12" speaker replacement that is sort of full range, or are you looking for a full-on PA speaker that is exactly FRFR?

The problem with 12" full range speakers that are NOT coaxial or have a separate compression driver is that they will never truly achieve linear frequency response.

The term FRFR is a Marketing term used to MARKET to guitarists. FRFR is literally nothing more than a PA speaker network placed inside of a normal guitar cab and sold for more money than it is worth. I.E. if you put your QSC K10 in a box that looked like a guitar cabinet, nobody would be the wiser and it would sound like a K10.

Single speakers that try and emulate " full range " ALWAYS have some anomaly that makes their frequency response uneven and weird. Truly coaxial speakers are of course an exception. A coaxial speaker is of course not a single element trying to do the work that 2 or three elements would properly do.

The long and short is that for a little more money, you can buy an ACTUAL speaker that is more linear in response, produces more output, and will sound better.
      Sure, I'm all for getting it right the first time around. i'm not sure what to add that I haven't already. As mentioned, this is going specifically into a 2x12 cabinet, which is going to be used exclusively for guitar duty. Its purpose is to provide stage sound for said Rockman-based rig – though it work equally well with any modern modeller.

Do you have any recommendations for something that would work better for this purpose?

Comment

Without retrofitting, making it difficult or not expensive.....No, I don't have an answer.

I was really just pointing out that " full range " 12" speakers are more or less a HUGE compromise over true sound quality. It is an area where what you spend will reflect greatly on the quality of sound.

Ideally, so you don't get sucked into the whole FRFR marketing term, you would just buy and use a PA speaker of your choice. EV, QSC, JBL, Yamaha, and several other vendors have affordable speakers that will be a massive improvement in both sound quality and output over that of any single full-range speaker.

Comment

The Celestion 150 has a pretty impressive frequency response. It's odd there are folks preferring the 200 when it has a big drop at 5k, but maybe that is what the doctor ordered for guitar?

Celestion 150

Celestion 200

Comment

The usable bandwidth of the 150 is pretty good considering, but it is still only good up to 12khz. While that may be more than high enough for a guitar, it is technically missing out on the last octave; really only meaning that it isn't actually FRFR. I would say that from an objective standpoint for the build he is going for, it is probably the best option, but then the sound he creates with that speaker will truly only work for that speaker. As soon as he goes into a real PA system, that last 10Khz will show up in the model.

With nearly a 5db boost from 1khz up to 12khz, if he ducks the HF down to compensate, a basic PA system will have his amp sounding fairly dark comparatively. The model 200 is a little more linear with the exception of that node at 5.5khz. Again, perhaps not a real issue, but very dependent upon several factors of course.

Comment

Working...
            X