Blackstar HT-20 MkI vs MkII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackstar HT-20 MkI vs MkII

Really loving the sound of my new HT-1, so I'm thinking of replacing/adding to it a HT-20 for when I start performing again. I really like the look of the HT-20 MkII's 20W-to-2W feature as it'd mean I can use it at home. But I'm reading a lot that the HT-20 MkII just doesn't sound quite as punchy as the MkI did, and the MkI lacks the 2W feature.

If I got a HT-20 MkI head and ran it through a dummy load, would it work similarly to the MkII's inbuilt 2W feature? Am I understanding that correctly?

The short answer is no. A dummy load does not work very well at maintaining the sound quality when trying to cut large amounts of volume. VVR or power scaling, a likely circuit used in the MKII is generally a better way to reduce the volume and maintain decent sound quality.

Comment

The MK1 has EL34 tubes and the MK2 EL84, get the 1 for the punchier sound, and grab an older HT5 for home! I've seen used combos and heads go for $175 locally.
      Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
      Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
      Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
      Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

Thanks both, sounds like I'm in a bit of an annoying dilemma then as I want the power reduction from the HT-20 MkII but the MkI sounds more like what I'm after tonally.

Another option is keeping my HT-1 for home use and a HT-20 MkI for louder use - I'm guessing the HT1 at near maximum would sound better than the HT-20 MkI turned down to a similar level?

Comment

Originally posted by spleenharvester View Post
          Thanks both, sounds like I'm in a bit of an annoying dilemma then as I want the power reduction from the HT-20 MkII but the MkI sounds more like what I'm after tonally.

Another option is keeping my HT-1 for home use and a HT-20 MkI for louder use - I'm guessing the HT1 at near maximum would sound better than the HT-20 MkI turned down to a similar level?
          Well, you would certainly get more of a naturally "pushed" tone with the 1 watt turned up than 20 watt turned down.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X