banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Power Amp would you choose and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Power Amp would you choose and why?

Used-Rocktron Velocity 300
    Carvin DCM 150
    Crate Powerblock

I hear awesome stories about the old Rocktron amps, but for the same price I could get a new Crate or Carvin to run a preamp through. Any thoughts?
    USED-Rocktron Velocity 300
    20.00%
    Carvin DCM150
    40.00%
    Crate Powerblock
    40.00%

Re: Which Power Amp would you choose and why?

Hmm...I haven't had stellar experiences with Carvin or Crate in general. I probably won't be the only one to suggest looking for a used tube amp. Peavey made some tube power amps that were pretty nice and you could get it really cheap...

Mike

Comment

i have had really good results with my carvin dcm600 ... all of my rocktron gear has also been bullet proof and high performing ... the powerblock gets rave reviews too ... it might depend on your specific application and aspirations for the gear ...
      gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

peavey classic 50/50 stereo tube power amp, 50 watts stereo - 100 watts mono - really warms up the sound of any amp modeler or solid state preamp. I used one with a Vox TonelabSE and a couple of different cabinets (two rock 1x12, Bogner closed back 2x12 and an Avatar open back 2x12) the tone from the amp and modeler was excellent. Very warm with plenty of clean overhead (it was loud as hell). I bought mine on ebay for $200.

Comment

I use a Peavey Classic 60/60 with 6L6s and it sounds great. It blew out a speaker when I first got it, but that was because I bought it used and didn't change the tubes or have it looked over by a tech (all the tubes were mismatched and bad). You can find them for $200-300 and I think any of the Peavey Classic power amps would yield better results than a solid state power amp.
          formerly n00b

Comment

I was just going to mention the Peavey 60/60 or 50/50 tube power amps, then noticed others were already on it. Honestly, I wouldn't buy any of the SS power amps in the list. My PA amp is a Carvin DCM1000, and it's not bad, but it's broken down once.

The reason the Peavey is good is because they depreciated so much, that you can buy them cheap, and they sound nearly as good as a Mesa power amp. Years ago, I jumped from a Peavey 60/60 to a Mesa 295, and while the Mesa was a little better, it wasn't $600 better. Look for a used 60/60.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I think there's a 50/50 on HC right now for $200-300...........

If money isn't an issue, grab a VHT 2/50/2

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
              Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
              FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
              http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Here ya' go:

Peavey Classic 50/50 Stereo Poweramp
                Asking Price: US$350
                Condition: Good
                Description:
                For Sale: Peavey Classic 50/50 Stereo Poweramp. Has many features and controls to help you get the best tone with your preamp. Back panel: 2 inputs/outputs per channel, stereo/mono switch, ohms for each channel, recording out with level control. Front panel has level, reactance and presence for each channel. All tube design. I believe the tubes to be newer EL34/pre JJ's.

Unit in good shape with some minor rack/road wear. Back panel has a dent in the corner and one of the recording out level knobs is broken. Level can stull be adjusted asfar as I can tell.

Asking 350 shipped.

Also had a nice green sscabs 2x12 cab for sale.

Contact me for pics/more info. Hurry...will go on eBay soon.
                Seller: 17 Tubes ,
                E-mail: skrall (Profile)[email protected]
                Post Date: 12/29/2005

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Thanks guys for all the feedback. I am probably looking for SS because I already have the tube thing covered with a Triaxis into a THD Univalve. I just need power that will take the already created tube sound and stereo fx and just amplify it without coloring. If I go with another tube amp I believe I will have another set of tubes to worry about with what brand of pre and post tubes to consider. I would like a clean SS poweramp with just enough headroom to drive (2) stereo 2x10's (70watts per side). I think the Crate and Carvin might be just underpowering, that's why I'm considering the Rocktron for a little more headroom. I saw the Rocktron used in a store and am weighing the differences between that and the new Crate and Carvin.

Comment

If your set on doing the SS thing, get the most power you can afford. With SS, you want NO distortion from the power section.
                    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

+50

You're gonna want 150+ watts IME. You'll probbaly also want a really nice SS amp as cheap ones distort easily(and lamely). I like the idea of preamp->tube amp->(speaker->mic->)time based effects->stereo amp->speakers, but I'd still opt for a tube amp for the final power section.

Mike
                      Last edited by MDS; 01-03-2006, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X