Marshall MG50 is going back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

All accounts are that the tone is good at lower volume. You could run a patch cable in the loop if the loops has adjustable level, to take some volume out. If the loops doesnt have a level, you can put an EQ pedal in there.

Will make amp much quieter.

Also, it may be some weak preamp tubes. Get a GT ECC83, its a graded high gain preamp tube, and put it in V1. Some amps tube swaps can make appreciable difference in gain level.

I remember recommending this amp. Punk rock doesnt typically require face melting gain, but the DSL is considered a high gainer.

And finally, you will need a basic boost to use with tube amps. Either a tube screamer or Boss SD-1. That will give you another gain stage. Sometimes its better that the amp itself doesnt have the extra gain stage, which means it will get great low and mid gain tones too.

If you return this, once you learn more about gear in another five years (if you are still playing) you will probably re-buy this amp or something similar.
    I'm not returning my DSL40 I'm returning this solid state MG50 because the gain was more like an overdrive than distortion. I am going to put an EQ in the effects loop of the DSL40 to bring down the volume. The gain on the DSL is great. Thanks for the suggestion.
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

I had a MG30 for a couple years. Sold it when I was purging a bunch of gear to pay stuff off. It was a cool amp. I got the footswitch that works with it which also has a tuner. Programmed it how I wanted it. The amp had the Carbon Fiber finish. Super light and super loud too. It was used mostly at rehearsals. I might get another one down the line, but probably the 50 for the 12" speaker.

Comment

I had to use an MG (may have been a valvestate) in a practice room once back in the early 90s, sounds like they have come a long way, that amp was a dog.

Or, maybe more specifically, I did not have an enjoyable experience playing through it.
        Last edited by devastone; 08-02-2022, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post

I'm not returning my DSL40 I'm returning this solid state MG50 because the gain was more like an overdrive than distortion. I am going to put an EQ in the effects loop of the DSL40 to bring down the volume. The gain on the DSL is great. Thanks for the suggestion.
          OK, gotcha.

Yeah, just put an EQ in the loop, you won't really need the smaller amp.

Comment

Marshall solid states and hybrids get a lot of flack for not being tube amps. But everyone of them I have heard/played I went "Yep - sounds like a Marshall"

I'd like to explore the whole "Paid $500 for an MG50" thing.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Thrash_Metal View Post

The avt 150 is no joke, that amp wails for not being all "chock full o tubes."
              I had one. I originally got one thinking it might get close to the Death sound, but it didn't. I didn't think it was all that great, TBH. The mids were honky as hell and hard to dial out without going mega scooped. The low end was really lacking. It didn't sound thin, but it was voiced too high in the spectrum, IMO, where instead of being nice and chunky, it was just mega stuffy. It absolutely needed a boost as well. Without it, it was pretty loose and dry, but it really took away from what little usable low-end it had. I honestly MUCH preferred my 5150III LBX at the time, LOL. Maybe it was the speakers that it was not jiving with. I tried to run it through my 1960A with Creambacks.

I also had a Mode Four. That amp was the complete opposite end of the spectrum, LOL. MEGA bassy. It was a cool amp on the JCM800-ish setting, though.
              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 08-04-2022, 11:37 PM.

Comment

The stock MG speakers are what people mostly attribute to their perceived awful sound.
                The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                  I had to use an MG (may have been a valvestate) in a practice room once back in the early 90s, sounds like they have come a long way, that amp was a dog.

Or, maybe more specifically, I did not have an enjoyable experience playing through it.
                  yeah, Ive heard they got much better over the years, in the early 90s I tried an early Valvestate and it was sort of a joke and considered the only terrible Marshall Amp ever made at the time. and a couple years ago I went to an hourly rehearsal facility in North Denver (have you ever been there?) before a gig at the Bluebird that provided MG50 heads and a few other amps and cabs in every space. They were much better than my 90s experience.
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

yeah, Ive heard they got much better over the years, in the early 90s I tried an early Valvestate and it was sort of a joke and considered the only terrible Marshall Amp ever made at the time. and a couple years ago I went to an hourly rehearsal facility in North Denver (have you ever been there?) before a gig at the Bluebird that provided MG50 heads and a few other amps and cabs in every space. They were much better than my 90s experience.
                    Good to know they got better, I keep hearing people praise them and wondering WTH?

I doubt I've been to that facility in north Denver, I have been to Dog House Studios in Lafayette, CO, they have DSL half stacks, Aguilar bass stacks in all the rooms, and some Fender and Vox combos depending on the room, nice assortments - https://www.doghousemusic.com/

Back in 2009, I had a rooms that I rented monthly there (I say "I", because "I" usually ended up paying the rent), I think it was like $400/month, they don't do that anymore and if they did I'm sure it would be $1000+. It was nice, 24 hour key card access, of course the monthly rental was unfurnished. That was probably a few owners ago.

Comment

Good to know they got better, I keep hearing people praise them and wondering WTH?

I doubt I've been to that facility in north Denver, I have been to Dog House Studios in Lafayette, CO, they have DSL half stacks, Aguilar bass stacks in all the rooms, and some Fender and Vox combos depending on the room, nice assortments - https://www.doghousemusic.com/

Back in 2009, I had a rooms that I rented monthly there (I say "I", because "I" usually ended up paying the rent), I think it was like $400/month, they don't do that anymore and if they did I'm sure it would be $1000+. It was nice, 24 hour key card access, of course the monthly rental was unfurnished. That was probably a few owners ago.
                      Yeah, I just looked it up -Called Rocketspace. -My friends in Denver use these places a lot instead of monthly due to the insane cost of living spike in Denver after legalization of Marijuana.

While much better than 90s Valvestates, the MG50s at Rocketspace weren't comparible to the Hot Rod Deluxe the backline company left for us at the space. But I mean, different pricepoints entirely so not really fair.
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Yeah, I just looked it up -Called Rocketspace. -My friends in Denver use these places a lot instead of monthly due to the insane cost of living spike in Denver after legalization of Marijuana.

While much better than 90s Valvestates, the MG50s at Rocketspace weren't comparible to the Hot Rod Deluxe the backline company left for us at the space. But I mean, different pricepoints entirely so not really fair.
                        A guy here are work uses that place I think. Yeah, monthly rentals are out of the question these days, if they even do them, DHS probably makes more in a day than I used to pay for a month.

I'm not sure' wana is the only reason for the spike in prices around here, it's not really a spike, it's been climbing a mountain for the past 10 years. There is a lot of tech business here too. Times have changed, I never thought stoners would be raising real estate values! I don't know how people in the service industry live anymore, kinda like what I thought about CA 20 years ago. Granted, we aren't at Silicone Valley prices, yet... No way I can buy a house here though, need $200 - $300k minimum for a down payment.

This is turning into an OT conversation, sorry, back to the OP. Sorry the MG didn't work out, but you have a DSL, should be easy enough to tame the volume for practicing at home, or, get a Katana or THR or something if you just want something to play with in the house, those are relatively cheap, and sound great at any volume.
                        Last edited by devastone; 08-05-2022, 09:17 AM.

Comment

A guy here are work uses that place I think. Yeah, monthly rentals are out of the question these days, if they even do them, DHS probably makes more in a day than I used to pay for a month.

I'm not sure' wana is the only reason for the spike in prices around here, it's not really a spike, it's been climbing a mountain for the past 10 years. There is a lot of tech business here too. Times have changed, I never thought stoners would be raising real estate values! I don't know how people in the service industry live anymore, kinda like what I thought about CA 20 years ago. Granted, we aren't at Silicone Valley prices, yet... No way I can buy a house here though, need $200 - $300k minimum for a down payment.

This is turning into an OT conversation, sorry, back to the OP. Sorry the MG didn't work out, but you have a DSL, should be easy enough to tame the volume for practicing at home, or, get a Katana or THR or something if you just want something to play with in the house, those are relatively cheap, and sound great at any volume.
                          Yeah, that was a generalization on the COL, just that more extreme population spike in the area coincided with that legislation. You're right

Comment

Working...
                          X