10" or 12" for Killer Project Amp...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10" or 12" for Killer Project Amp...?

Greetings,, Having just completed a conversion of a very old Bell & Howell projector amp, it's proved to be cabinet worthy & wasn't sure what size speaker/cab i wanted... It's one of my many model p.a. Amps, & it's the be(a)st overall, that when dimed, it's got the perfect 'just past the edge of breakup'... If it wasn't loud enuff to hold it's own on a stage, I'd use it as my personal monitor, at my feet.... I'm a diehard lover of 12's, & in the past, I've owned a few killer sounding 10" combos; BF Vibro Champ, an AC10 Twin, a Brown Princeton & some oddball Premiers,,, SO, I also love the way a 10" hits you in the chest, but it's been a while & I can't recall if a 10" lends itself to a chunkier, seemingly earlier breakup? It's going to be an open back combo, & wanted to hear some affirmations from ya'll.. thnx in advance!!

If you're looking for loud with lots of punch, it's hard to go wrong with the Eminence Ragin' Cajun.

I put one in a Fender Super Champ XD and that speaker turned it into a fire breather. The efficiency is quite high so it gets LOUD without a lot of power.

Comment

Is that a 10" or 12",, or either? Thnx

Comment

Oh, sorry! It's a 10" speaker. I don't know if it was part of the design goal but in the right cab, it sounds bigger than most 10" speakers that I've heard.

Sounds like a cool project you're working on!

Comment

Cool,,, & thnx Definitely a consideration....

Comment

i like both depending on the amp. eminence and weber are two brands ive been very happy with. i love the weber 10a150t but its not cheap

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220718_132211.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	6189091
              FANTASTIC sounding reboot, and i've had MANY...
              I bought this one knowing I'd have to do a few things to make it guitar & cabinet worthy!! First & foremost, this ancient but finely appointed gem would have come with a field coil speaker sidecar, but did not, so my non musical amp tech followed my lead & what he came up with was nothing short of genius... It's that added steel cage that houses the new 'works' that replace the original field coil thing... It's nicely a corpse grinder, but it has that slightly more than over-the-edge breakup..
              I just want a speaker that'll talk back to me & my guitar, feedback on demand & serve as a monitor of sorts dj I can get 'that' up-close interaction, & symbiosis happening... The entire project came in at under 3 bills, and certainly one-of-a-kind!! Thnx all~

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                i like both depending on the amp. eminence and weber are two brands ive been very happy with. i love the weber 10a150t but its not cheap
                Doesn't someone make a 1x10 1x12 semi open back cab? I'd swear that I've seen one somewhere in my travels but I can't recall the specifics.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

i made myself a 1x10/1x12 cab for my 5e7 which i absolutely love, im sure there is a commercial version out there.

as far as speakers, how efficient do you want it to be?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    i made myself a 1x10/1x12 cab for my 5e7 which i absolutely love, im sure there is a commercial version out there.

as far as speakers, how efficient do you want it to be?
                    Ok, I think now that I remember you mentioning that a while back.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X