Cabs? ohm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabs? ohm?

Okay I'm probably going to end up buying a exstention cab to my peavey classic 30. A 2 x 12 I'm thinking. So would it be best to leave the cheap blue marvel speaker in my peavey and just get a 2 x 12 with some good speakers? Also my amp is 16ohm so I'm not sure what that means. How much of a volume increase ca I expect with having an extra 2 speakers? Could my amp handle a 4 x 12 cabinant or is that a waste?
    Originally posted by BeanDip
    No one that I know of has tested the tonal properties of pecan, so I figured why the hell not?

^^^I don't feel so safe

My Stuff-

Hofner 1960 V3
    Belman double cutaway Grand
    Peavey classic 30 (with wheels)

Re: Cabs? ohm?

The extra speaker will actuall give you a stronger bass responce and more presence... definately louder, buthow much depends on what kind of speakers you get... If you are going to play gigs in bigger clubs, the 4x12 could be a nice investment, for home use only, I think you won't really need that extra and the 2x12 should be enough... Concerning the Ohm rating: this is quite important as a wrong cab can damage your amp. The rating of the cab should equal the rating of your cab, i.e. if you have an 16Ohm output, you should have a cab rated a 16Ohm.

7ender 7anboy.

Comment

^bump^
      No one that I know of has tested the tonal properties of pecan, so I figured why the hell not?

^^^I don't feel so safe

My Stuff-

Hofner 1960 V3

Comment

Originally posted by Pecan
        Okay I'm probably going to end up buying a exstention cab to my peavey classic 30. A 2 x 12 I'm thinking. So would it be best to leave the cheap blue marvel speaker in my peavey and just get a 2 x 12 with some good speakers?
        2x12 will certainly provide, like kommerz said, a fuller bass response. The actual change in volume will be minimal, however perceived volume might increase due to the fuller sound. If you rely on speaker breakup for part of your tone expect that to change drastically as each speaker gets a smaller slice of the wattage pie.

I’m not familiar with the makings of the Classic 30, so I can’t tell you exactly how to go about hooking everything up. Is there an output on the amp for an extension cabinet?

Also my amp is 16ohm so I'm not sure what that means. How much of a volume increase ca I expect with having an extra 2 speakers? Could my amp handle a 4 x 12 cabinant or is that a waste?
        16 ohm output means you’ll need a 16 ohm load. With two drivers that is most easily done by wiring two 8 ohm drivers in series. There are multiple ways to wire a 4x12 cab, but the easiest is using four 16 ohm drivers, wiring pairs in series and then the groups in parallel.

You could use a 4x12 cab with 30 watts just fine. The drivers won’t receive enough power to breakup, but the sound will be even fuller than a 2x12. Again, there would be small measurable differences in volume, but perceived volume will increase due to the full sound.
        Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Yeh the classic 30 has a easy output labeled "extension speaker" on the back

^^^I don't feel so safe

My Stuff-

Hofner 1960 V3

Comment

Working...
          X