Help identify this tube problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    To me it sounds like it's probably a preamp tube going microphonic. Hope you got that bullet-proof cover off and did the wood stick tap test. If you can't see one tube glowing redder than the other, the tap test should reveal the microphonic culprit.

Did you get this straightened out?
    Not yet. It got put on a back burner while I deal with some other "life" issues. They come more often as we get older.

Comment

So, turned out to be the EL84/6BQ5 outputs. Fortunately, I had a Tube Depot TubeCube 7 amp that uses the same outputs. Swapped those in and the rattling seems to be gone. Put the originals back in and the rattling was back. The Traynor used Russian Sovteks, while the TubeCube used some Chinese things. Since the Traynor is a pretty sweet little amp, I think I'm going to opt for some decent replacements. (Assuming I can get them.)

Comment

That Traynor amp is just bad -pack it up and send to me and I'll send you some $$

Bad tube for sure.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
          That Traynor amp is just bad -pack it up and send to me and I'll send you some $$

Bad tube for sure.
          Make me an offer. I actually had it in the Trading Post. Packing this thing safely would be a challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Make me an offer. I actually had it in the Trading Post. Packing this thing safely would be a challenge.
            Im at Cumberland Island/Jekyll and Jax Beach/Ponte Vedra multiple times a year... maybe not
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Im at Cumberland Island/Jekyll and Jax Beach/Ponte Vedra multiple times a year... maybe not
              Cool. Let me know whenever you're in the neighborhood.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Cool. Let me know whenever you're in the neighborhood.
                Cool, I meant "maybe not" referencing the packing challenge of course!

Comment

Cool, I meant "maybe not" referencing the packing challenge of course!
                  Yup. I think I got that. I think.

And to clarify . . . anyone who was in my area could probably get a pretty sweet deal on either my Traynor YCV20 or my H&K Edition Tube 20th Anniversary, just due to saving me shipping, and eBay / Reverb / Craigslist aggravation.

Comment

Is that the 20 that comes with the greenback?
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

It's got a green trim ring, so that's probably correct.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Traynor_Celestion-02.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	6203238

Comment

Working...
                      X