Speaker question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker question

Hey guys Its time to get a cab and I was just wondering what the difference is between Celestion vintage 30 and seventy 80 speakers? If anyone can educate me it would be greatly appreciated.
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Both are great speakers in my experience, the 30s are a bit warmer. They also have more sensitivity making them a very efficient speaker. However, the Seventy 80s sound amazing in my Fender cab. They have a great mid-range push and a lot of thump in the bass.

Harley Benton does a 2x12 cab loaded with 30's for $222, not sure what they would hit you for shipping.

Cabinet for Electric Guitar Equipped with: 2x 12" Celestion Vintage 30 speakers, Power rating: 120 W at 8 Ohm or 2 x 60 W at 16 Ohm, Inputs: 2 x 6.3 mm jack, Mono / stereo switchable, Housing made of 16 mm poplar plywood, Grille with decorative...

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
      Both are great speakers in my experience, the 30s are a bit warmer. They also have more sensitivity making them a very efficient speaker. However, the Seventy 80s sound amazing in my Fender cab. They have a great mid-range push and a lot of thump in the bass.

Harley Benton does a 2x12 cab loaded with 30's for $222, not sure what they would hit you for shipping.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/harley_...12_vintage.htm
      Wow -How is this price possible? It doesn't add up.

Are these budget version of V30s?
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Wow, Securb is right. Only $78 for shipping comes out to $307 and some change for the vertical 2x12 shipped.Is it possible to have real vintage 30's in it for that price or do you think they are knock offs or what? Anyone with experience with these please chime in.
        But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

They are not knock offs. They are the real deal. They just buy them in bulk and can get cheaper prices because of that.

The cabs are built OK. Not in the same league as Mesa and whatnot, but they do the job.

Comment

I could never warm up to 70/80s - too fizzy up high with gain and kinda flat/bland sounding for the clean sounds I like. They're not bad but never really wowed me.

V30s are some of my favorite guitar speakers. Very versatile, with a character that you'll recognize from a lot of different recordings. The v30s have an upper midrange thing going on that doesn't work with all setups. They really shine in closed back cabs IMO.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
              Are these budget version of V30s?
              No, a V30 is a V30. Celestion would rename and relabel them if they were a different speaker. The cabs are plywood; does that matter? I don't know. It is also cool that they are mono/stereo.

Not sure how Harley Benton pumps out such quality stuff at their prices. This is a great deal if the cab is anywhere as good as their guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                I could never warm up to 70/80s - too fizzy up high with gain and kinda flat/bland sounding for the clean sounds I like. They're not bad but never really wowed me.

V30s are some of my favorite guitar speakers. Very versatile, with a character that you'll recognize from a lot of different recordings. The v30s have an upper midrange thing going on that doesn't work with all setups. They really shine in closed back cabs IMO.
                %100

I find the higher wattage more scooped or full range speakers work better with Fender style amps and open back arrangements, and create too much fizz often with the Marshall/higher gain stuff wheras a V30 or Greenback tames that high gain effect.

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

thats not 100% true. there have been a few versions of the v30 that sounded slightly different, but they were all very good speakers

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    thats not 100% true. there have been a few versions of the v30 that sounded slightly different, but they were all very good speakers
                    Sure no argument when discussing all the options -my statement was in general you'll find the more full range and scooped speakers less agreeable with British style high gain.

ALWAYS exceptions -especially when you go down the WGS catalog and other smaller speaker company rabbit holes

Comment

I always thought the 70/80s were kind of bland, but V30s were too pushed in the mids (granted, I haven't tried them in a long time). I have a CL80 in my 1-12 cab that I like pretty well, but I haven't had a chance to push it. They are all good speakers, just a matter of taste, or lack thereof (j/k).

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        I would imagine that is due more to the availability of raw products over the years than speaker design. I know in the late 60's/early 70s, Celestion changed their speaker cone supplier, and the sound of the speakers changed dramatically. I wouldn't say good or bad, but definitely different. As you said, they are all great-sounding speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                          I always thought the 70/80s were kind of bland, but V30s were too pushed in the mids (granted, I haven't tried them in a long time). I have a CL80 in my 1-12 cab that I like pretty well, but I haven't had a chance to push it. They are all good speakers, just a matter of taste, or lack thereof (j/k).
                          70/80's work well paired with a speaker that has more mids but less top. I put a pair in an old 4x12 Randall cab with two of the original Jaguars and the thing covers all the bases.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I pulled the trigger on the Harley Benton vertical 2x12 with the Celestion vintage 30's for 307 shipped. That was an awesome deal compared to other brands prices. Thanks to Securb for recommending that.

Comment

$300 for a v30 vertical 212 is outstanding! You would have trouble finding a used v30 212 for that price. A few years ago mesa 212/412 cabs could be had used for $400-$500.

Comment

Working...
                              X